Do your bees ever frighten you?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

That's what my bees are doing this season! So far they've been very docile, but they're very strong, very noisy and very active! There are thousands of them at the entrances to the hive, both upper and lower, they are beelining like crazy (so there must be some good nectar out there), and they are the loudest I've ever heard them! That "lion's roar" makes me feel like I'm gonna be attacked any minute! You've got to see it to believe it. Every day between 2:30 and 4:30 there is a lot of orientation going on. All four hives are doing it, so I'm assuming it's nothing to do with swarming and that for the season/environment they're all doing what needs to be done, but it's nothing I've ever seen before. It is not robbing; that I'm sure of.

As you know, I was just in them a couple of weeks ago and there was lots of eggs, larva and capped brood. As weird as this sounds, I'm wondering if they need another box! I don't want to give them room they can't protect (I'm having big problems with SHB) but then again, I don't want them so crowded they abscond or swarm in October!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They are teenagers trying to worry mom. Just relax and enjoy the show. First frost is only a couple weeks away and they will settle down then.

3. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, Iddee. I have to believe that. They seem to be so darn happy, but in my 8 years of beekeeping, my hives have never been so strong, active or loud! I just needed assurance that all is well and you've done that. thanks again. You're the best.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have one hive that is extra strong, yesterday from a distance it looked as though they were swarming. I walked out into the middle of them only to see they were doing huge orientation flights. It was kind of funny when they started orientating around me and followed me around for about 25 yards before they broke up.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

My two hives are very active right now as well. No robbing as far as I can see- pollen coming in rapidly, girls feeding each other at the (reduced) entrance, lots of orientation flights going on, many bees in the air near the hives....

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

G3 writes:
    I have one hive that is extra strong, yesterday from a distance it looked as though they were swarming. I walked out into the middle of them only to see they were doing huge orientation flights. It was kind of funny when they started orientating around me and followed me around for about 25 yards before they broke up.

tecumseh:
    very cool huh?

do my girls ever frighten me?

well only when I am all suited up and have proceeded thru 4 or 5 hives only to look down and realize the fly on my trousers is not zipped up <didn't have this problem when I was young so it has to be some kind of old man's problem I would guess.

7. Tia

Tia New Member

Tecumseh, you are a hoot! Had to laugh out loud at the picture in my head. Yes, getting old's a drag. I can commiserate. G3, that is the coolest thing I've ever heard! I'm going to have to try that sometime! the best thing that ever happened to me with my girls was a very hot day extracting in my honey house. There were a few too many bees in there, I was in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, all sticky with honey. The girls were all over me licking off the honey and fanning their wings. Lots of tickles and I had to smile. I was grateful I was an "experienced" beek, because I think if I had been a newbee at the time, being covered with bees would have panicked me.

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I enjoy playing with the bees when they are loud, as long as it's not an angry loud. It's kind of like being a room full of people when everyone is talking except you and your listening to the whole room instead of one conversation. It sounds really neat to me.

The bees only scare me when they fly strait for my face as soon as I open the top cover, or when I'm in the garden at the same time the girls are and they think my hair is one big flower.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tia.... I think that is one of the biggest fears you have to get over is a bee(s) landing on you. Once you figure out they are not wanting to sting every time they land on you you are in the ball game.

Baby Beek......I know just what you mean, sometimes it is nice to just sit back and observe your surroundings, I love to get outside some where(deep in the woods is best) and just get still and really quite, funny what all you can hear and see.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Tia writes:
    Yes, getting old's a drag.

tecumseh:
    the other option is a real downer.

there is nothing I enjoy more than standing in the middle of a swarm with all the bees flying about me almost in slow motion and giving off this low purring sound. it almost feels like you have been transported into another reality.

11. Tia

Tia New Member

tecumseh, you're right; the alternative to getting old sucks.

I give a lot of talks to potential newbees and one of the things I tell them in my efforts to allay their fears and make them appreciate the art of beekeeping is that beekeeping is very zen. . .you have to move slowly, gently and with purpose. And once you're in the middle of the hives you are rewarded by the warm sun, the scent of honey wafting up from the hives and the gentle buzz of the girls enjoying their day. It can actually be a calming experience and the newbees are grateful for the reinforcement.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

tia writes:
    you have to move slowly, gently and with purpose.

tecumseh:
    well only the last word applies here. I guess I am just a bit too industrial grade for the first two words to much apply.

one of my stated reason in encouraging our bee club to do a hands on bee school once a year was to somewhat limit the 'fear quotient' in any potential new bee keepers. I have had several folks reward me with a note (much later) that has informed me that the positive experience of bee school is what got them beyond their hesitance and fear to become bee keepers.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When out in the field or garden the bees land on my arms to lick sweat, sometimes i'll have as many as six on me at the same time. I don't pay them no mind unless they get under my upper arm, then i brush them off. If you mash her you will know it :mrgreen: . I never was frightened of my bees, but like i've said before when i had midnight bees that superseded with those little black bees in the river bottom,they made me smarter about when and how to work them :lol: .(that was in 1965) Jack