Does anyone know of a video for a classroom.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

We are going to be doing a show and tell on Honey Bees for a couple elementary school classes. I have made a
    display hive. One deep and a medium on top. We are going to take a frame off bees and do the demonstration.

I would like to have a 5 or 6 minute video to show the kids then do the hands on show and tell stuff.

Does anyone know where I can download a good video for that purpose?

I watched one one time on a web site and I guess I didn't save the link. It was narrated and was good.

Thanks for any help and tips to make this go smooth. Would be neat to have a small booklet to hand out to the kids. I bet their parents would read it as well.

I have a projection camera I can hook to the laptop to show the video.

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

A clip from Vanishing of the bees maybe?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The first home page of the Canada Agriculture Museum 2013 is well done and is interactive. and geared to kids. if you had WiFi connection will ad some when I think of some have some activity handouts geared for kids I will post have to go too bee meeting now. they are shown in the video of the fair display. coloring picture was drawn by my daughter.
    http://www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/english/bees/default.php

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

This is my favorite honeybee video, don't know how it would fit into your presentation. It is short and visually intersting, which would fit into a group presentation for kids really well. :)

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

Both are very good.

My plan is to show a short video of some kind, Then have interactive discussion. I will take things like a Deep hive with frames, pulled comb. Some tools, smoker, bee jacket, hive tool, etc. A sample of honey for them to taste.

Then we will look at 2 live frames. A brood frame with a medium honey frame above it. The 2 frames will be in a display hive I am building. We should easily be able to fill an hour or so. Especially with questions.

Whats funny is last year I sat up my incubator in this teachers class room and let them hatch some chicken eggs. They raised the chicks for a few days and I let some kids keep the chicks. The school said this teacher was the most requested teacher this year when school was registering kids. This should put her over the top :grin: