Does catching swarms ever get old?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, May 24, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got #3 tonight. About 6' up in a mulberry tree, cluster was about 12" dia. The whole neighborhood came out to watch and I have another homeschool family that wants a closer look at the bees. Their oldest girl got the branch the bees were on that was starting to get wax built on it. The neighbor said they saw the swarm fly in yesterday afternoon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337916034.758233.jpg

2. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Nice. Only two swarm calls for me so far, and one was gone by the time I got there.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The wind was blowing 30-40 mph yesterday, they weren't going anywhere.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Does catching swarms ever get old?"

NO :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Never, have boxes will travel!!! :thumbsup:

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I had to drive 35 mins for thos swarm. Totally worth it!

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nope! I love them. I like them a ton better than trap outs which I am experiencing for the first time....A swarm wam bam thankyou mam and in the box.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yes, about this time of year every year. Namely because I'm runing out of equipment and need the boxes for existing colonies to make honey more than I want to get more colonies that are now later in the season and have less chance to build up to a survivable size before winter.

In other words, if I have to spend as much feeding a swarm as I would have to pay for an early nuc, I'm not very excited about the prospect of getting those bees.

That's why in another couple of days I will no longer do free swarm removal for the remainder of the year. In June I'll charge $25 in my local county (more elsewhere), and in July $50, if there are any calls after that they'll be $100.

9. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Wow. Good Question. Hard to turn down free bees. Plus, it was only my swarms I got last year that survived the winter. Only my second year but I have had 9 swarms in the past week. Cracy8Days took one for me as I had couldn't cause I had to go to work. :thumbsup: One thing I have learned..............you can NEVER have enough frames. I can always throw a brood box or super together rather quickly but ya gotta have frames for those boxes and that is what I keep running out of!!! :roll:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Never gets old for me either, I get excited as a little kid at Christmas, love it!

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have yet to get on the swarm list. Regular work has had me too busy. So if my other bee club members are getting tired of swarms, well I'm about to sign up and join in the fun! I have the equipment. I have the tools. And I need to build another hive stand.

gypsi

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you get on a swarm list, you better build more than one. Brandon got on my list this year and went from 2 to 30 hives and still going. We have another cutout to do Sunday. And that isn't counting the 10 I kept.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What's up with all the swarms Iddee? Is this a normal year? Is there some reason?

14. pturley

pturley New Member

I don't know about you Perry, but the Eastern US had an extremely mild winter last year.

15. Gypsi

I was thinking a 3 or 4 hive stand. The one I have now will hold 3. It isn't pretty, but it is fairly protected from ants.

16. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm at 3 swarms plus starting a trap-out. I'll be at 8 hives after that trap-out. When I started into this hobby just wanting to have two to start. I'm hoping I can sell enough honey to break even....

17. Gypsi

I will NEVER sell enough honey to break even. But I haven't had this much fun in years!

Some people take vacations to the bahamas, some people climb mountains, or have a boat, or take cruises. They don't break even. I will break even in pollination for my garden though!

Gypsi

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Practically no swarms last year, Perry, but they are making up for lost time this year. Many more than normal.