Does cedar effect honey taste?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hogback Honey, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hogback Honey

Hogback Honey New Member

Hey all, I was on another board and someone mentioned building frames out of cedar. One of the other members said that cedar had a negative effect on honey taste. I was wondering because I put a homemade quilt box full of cedar chips on the top of my hive going into last fall to help with the moisture and the temperature. The girls seem to love it. They hang out on it in a clump. The hive beetles also mysteriously disappeared that same time and i was hoping that I was on to something! :beg:

What are your experiences with cedar?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

this is a new one on me. I have a few supers I made of cedar that I use. I havent noticed that taste in any honey from them. I dont think it would change the taste of the honey unless you was soaking cedar chips in the extracted honey.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

HNH; I've not heard of this before nor have I seen any folklore on honey from a cedar tree hive (feral) tasting funny.

RRat did you notice less pest in you cedar supers?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Never really noticed they are mixed in with my other supers

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't know about cedar, but dad or my uncles wouldn't cut a bee tree if it was a walnut. They said the honey wasn't any good, had a off flavor. Come to think of it i've never seen a cedar bee tree, but have taken swarms out of them. Jack

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I've never seen a cedar bee tree either. Have gotten several swarms out of them since they are abundant in this area.

7. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Cedar trees don't usually get hollow when they rot.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hogback writes:
    The hive beetles also mysteriously disappeared that same time and i was hoping

tecumseh:
    we had a fellow who showed up to talk at our bee club meeting last fall that was into natural forms of pest control. one of the products he sold (which he had tested on a couple of hobby beekeepers hives) was a cedar oil (seemed to be fairly cheap). he said he simply painted a ring around the hive at the bottom of the hive.