does deet bug spray affect the bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Sep 7, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

The skeeters here in florida are horrible this time of year....from the tiny striped tiger mosquitos to those great big turkey skeeters that feel like a bee sting an all the ones in between...my question is if i put on my ''scentless sportsmans off'' (100% deet) before i go to the hives will it hurt the bees or maybe make them mad at me if they land so they will want to sting....i dont wanna get tagged by either one if i can help it.

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

THe way I see it " Deet " does not kill skeeters.
    They don't like the smell of your " scentless sportsman off "

To kill them they would have to injest it,or get it on them, that means biting you.
    So what's the since of spraying with "Deet", then getting bit to kill a misquito.

This was brought up at the Bass Pro Shop, a number of years ago, no answer was really given.

Jack, remember the Brown Derby's, the first Bass Pro Shop ?

Murrell

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol...i dont care if it kills the skeeters or not....im sick of getting bit by them and the sportsmans deet works no problem...all day...but i dont wanna hurt the bees or have them go psycotic cauae i have it on.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

With regard to mosquitoes--it doesn't kill them, just repels them. So I don't think you have to worry about any damage to the bees if you use it while working the hives. I would guess that it doesn't repel the bees since I never heard of anyone recommending it for use as a "bee chase" when taking off honey (unless "bee go" and similar products are merely different names for "Deet").

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

they have that....''bee go''....theres been a time or two i coulda used that...an the one time they got me in the spot right between my nostrials an top lip im glad i didnt have it...ida problly lit it on fire an dropped it through the hole in the top cover an put the lid on...lol....not really but the words that came outta my mouth that day...that sure did hurt something fierce :/

6. ccd11

ccd11 New Member

I'm no expert, but I've read that Deet works by masking the bodily chemicals that attract mosquitoes. So I wouldn't think that it would hurt bees.

I've worked bees with Off sprayed on my pant legs (ONLY on my pant legs), and didn't notice any increased aggression.

7. rast

rast New Member

No, they are not, completely different chemicals.

That was owned by Johnny Morris's daddy the current owner. We are his oldest boat dealer and one of the first dealer's for him.

8. me2pl

me2pl New Member

hmmm. . . familiar with the scientific method? try spraying a place where bees tend to beard, and see if they stop

9. me2pl

me2pl New Member

my dad brought up a great point: you are working with a food product, and you don't want this like mercury in fish

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well its not what id do if i were inspecting the hives....but i go out to them every day to watch for a little bit....if your in tune ya notice it better when somethings out of tune...ask Rast....florida this time of year is just misserible with skeeters...an they carry disease here...western hernando had one confermed case of insefalitus (however you spell it) just 2 weeks ago...an i think a lady died in marion county from it last week...im not so worried about that tho...i just dont like to get ambushed from sunup to sundown...i get bit enuff at work....an here in swamp county...they get nasty...some are almost an inch long an sting when they bite...if it wont hurt or anger the bees im all for it....i aint spraying the front of my hives with anything like that....you do it an let us know what happends...lol

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

2K:
    I hear ya. I took a fishing trip down in your neck of the woods a few years ago. The mousquitos have tail numbers and have to radio in for landing clearance. ;)

12. me2pl

me2pl New Member

maybe you should spray the hives, the bees may thank you

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When I was a kid, my dad used to take the family on outings in the Everglades----we would come home all bitten up by chiggers. If I recall correctly over the span on these many years, we would "try" to protect ourselves with oil of citronella. Did it work? Well, I didn't get stung by bees. :yahoo:

14. me2pl

me2pl New Member

hmmmm. . . I've heard of burning citronella, but never wearing it.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Them were the days before deet was discovered. ;)

Then again, Maybe that explains all the bites I got. :doh:

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

some people swear by the citronella candles....i would think if citronella was gonna have any chance at all it would be in a lotion...when EM was here thats all they had besides a smokey campfire....some people say ''skin so soft'' works good....there are a few other things too....BUTTTT.....my job for the last 25 years as a land surveyor takes me into the dark an spookey almost every day.....The skeeters in the deep swamps where i cut line are relentless....no matter what you hear this is what i know....''sentless sportsmans off 100% Deet'' in the pump bottle...works 100%...if you rub in on your skin you will not get bitten....they dont like ciggerette smoke or smoke from a fire of any kind....other than that your gonna be lunch.

Rast seems to like to vaccation in Chassahowitzka swamp....that is the birth place of the turkey skeeter....it has feathers and resembles a turkey with big eyes an a straw instead of a beak....local legend has it they are a cross between a turkey and a mosqueito and a direct byproduct of the nuclear plant just north of there....unless i had my Deet i wouldnt go in there with anything less than a flame thrower an my shotgun....thats the gospel truth i swear it.

17. me2pl

me2pl New Member

yeah, radioactive mosquitoes, sounds bad, better call John Cleese and the rest of the Pythons

18. rast

rast New Member

Last weekend, I showed some friends the way through the swamp to the Crack (a large spring). Part of the way there was just clouds of mosquito's around us. Had deet on all of us. 7 year old girl wanted to know why every pool of standing water was "wiggling".

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i used to hunt in that swamp quite a bit...before they opened the roads south of Thrasher up to vehicals...do some surveying for the sportsmans club when they need it and on occation i float my canoe down the river....its not a joke when you forget the deet...lol.