Does size matter?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hawkster, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

Got some queens and one of them is the size of a worker bee. She is hived and I am awaiting results but wondered what the consensus is?

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I was told you want a large, plump queen. My two queens I bought early spring were puny. Both died.

3. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I wouldnt judge on size wait and see what kind of performance you get out of her. Sometimes dynamite comes in small packages

5. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

That's what I am hoping she is cute anyway

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would say the answer to your question is yes and no.

Yes in that once mature a queen capacity to lay eggs is somewhat to highly related to her mature weight**. No in that a lot of queens are caught before they have grown* or matured much... so the queen you see in the introduction cage may not accurately represent what she looks like in two weeks to a month... often times the difference is startling.

*I am often times more alarmed by very large and often described as 'plump' queens which arrive in an introduction cage in that there is the distinct possibility that the queen is not fresh. Any queen that arrives here in this condition I look at very long and hard and pay special attention to the back edges of their wings to try and determine age.

**My own experience is that a queen that does not grow out fairly quickly doesn't represent anything of value.

I would suggest.... install the queen and look again in two or three weeks and then see what she looks like.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am glad you weighed in on this tec. I got two queens from Bee Weaver and installed them. Both were very little but time will tell. The smaller of the two flew off into the wild blue yonder so i can't compare her to the other. Time will tell though.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Every thing that Tec said and will also add that the size of the queen reduces in winter when little of no egg laying is taking place and also when she quits laying in the days before she leaves with a swarm.

9. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

This queen is from the same place, I have good luck in the past with them so crossing my fingers. Will report back!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Echo what Tec said.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first thanks to Apisbee for the qualification on my prior comments...

an intended endorsement....
    experience with any particular queen supplier is something you should always consider. you need not always stick with the same supplier but I at least do think it is important that you have some faith in the quality of the product and you can trust the supplier is sending you exactly what you bought. The folks down at BWeaver and I are of course not only neighbors but also friends and I give the large credit with my own efforts to rear bees without the use of chemical for varroa.

12. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

A couple week or so back one of my splits made it back and started laying. First time I saw her she had just started laying. I remember thinking she might not amount to much. I saw her today and wondered if it was the same queen. I don't think she doubled in size but she's been eating good for sure.

13. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

Thank you for the feedback looking forward to taking a peek in a week or so! This is a great place to get answers

14. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

Ok it's been a while the queen has grown bigger but is not laying. How long do I give her?

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Assuming you got her as a mated queen: If she's not laying at all, give her a week at most. If she's laying but not well (sparsely or not a nice pattern), give her a maximum of three weeks. By then you should know her true abilities.

16. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

Yes she was mated I will give her another week

17. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Try giving your hive some lighter sugar syrup. 3/4 lb sugar to 1 1/4 lb water.

18. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

I will do that thanks!

19. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

Well it's been a while and the queen has grown but has not laid a single egg:(. There are no guarantees with bees!

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

She's had her trial period and then some--no need to keep her any longer than it takes to get a replacment.:sad: