Does size really matter?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by PerryBee, Jun 15, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am going to buy a new wet/dry vac. My old 6.5 gallon 3.0 hp shop vac is worn out, it makes more noise after it is shut off than when it's running and the hose is too small for a bee-vac. According to Robo's design you need one with at least a 5 hp motor. All the ones with motors that powerful are monsters. I found this at a local store for $109 and I can use a bigger hose on the bee end of the setup for actualluy vaccuuming the bees (2 1/2 inch). At 5.5 hp and 5 gallon capacity it looks like it would be ideal for using with a bee-vac. The salesman said that most folks buy ones that are way too big for what they will ever need.

http://www.kent.ca/kbs/en/product.jsp?skuId=5760423&navAction=jump&prdId=5760423&catalogId=1163

So I ask you, does size really matter? :lol:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry the only thing you actually need is the motor and fan, the canister is just extra baggage.

According to some of the spam email I get...........it surely does. :shock:

3. Mosti

Mosti New Member

LLLOOOLLL:eek:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe you should consider my "Tom Sawyer" bee vac. I use a 2 or 2 1/2 HP vac and have to reduce the power.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What size hose do you use when sucking up the bees themselves? 2" or 2 1/2"? I am figuring 1 1/2" is too small.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not sure, but I think 2 in. from vac to box, 1 1/2 from box to pickup bees.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

1 1/2" to pick up bees?
    OK, you may have just saved me some $$. I was going to use the 2" that comes with the new vac for vac to box, and buy 2 1/2" for box to pickup bees, but if that's not needed I'll just use the 1 1/2" off my old vac.
    I had it in my head that the smaller hose would be harder on the bees, don't know why.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1 in. will work if you control the power. That's why I like the Tom Sawyer box. You can watch the bees arrive and see how hard they are landing, then adjust the vac as needed.

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I use the smaller 1 1/2" hose on mine, simply because it was cheaper when I built it. It works fine, but occasionally gets clogged up with bees. Several times I have had to stop vacuuming, unplug the hose and shake the bees out onto the ground. Believe it or not, the bees that I shake out are alive and unharmed. I have found that even with the smaller diameter hose, the fatalities are minimal. After the last cut-out I did, I had bees in the hose the next day. I shook them out and they flew off. Looking back, I wish I would have went with the larger diameter hose.
    So, yes Perry, I think size DOES matter!! LOL

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to use the larger 2 1/2" hose, but then I have never used a smaller one and have nothing to compare it to. I have clogged the 2 1/2" before and had to shake the bees out. The main thing to remember is "just enough suction to get the bees into the hose". I find sucking up a swarm is harder than bees on comb since bees in a swarm are all holding hands and is hard to break them apart, bees on comb are easily sucked up in the hose. I guess I am going to have to make me a Tom Sawyer vac now so that I will have some thing to compare the Robo style to.