Does smoking really work as a way to remove a hive?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Jun 30, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We were referred by a member of the local bee club to an individual looking to have some bees removed from a fake column in the front of his house, roughly a month old swarm. There were some questions about fees and such, I'm not sure if this plays into this yet or not. But apparently, another local beekeeper stopped into this guy's shop for something else, checked out the bees, and said that he can have the bees out of the column in a half hour by smoking through a bottom entrance and they will come out the top. Now, I think I have heard of this before, but am not sure, and I am guessing that it doesn't work as well as one would hope or it would be recommended more often. Can someone give the particulars on this method? Works, doesn't work, the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that I can go into our Friday meeting with the owner with some intelligent answers.

Thank you!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If it worked, it would take constant, heavy smoke for the whole 30 minutes, maybe longer. I have read a number of news articles where this rid the homeowner of bees and home, as the smoke was too hot and the house burned down. Can you imagine how much dust and cobwebs has built up in those old columns?

3. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Hummm, didn't think of that one, but very good point. Cobwebs burn faster then gasoline.

I was thinking more along the lines of realistically, would you be able to get enough brood and the quuen out that they wouldn't be able to re-queen themselves? Between that and the nectar filled comb in there. And he thought the woodpecker that opened up the original hole was a pest!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Even if you did smoke them out what about all of the honey, nectar, pollen, brood and comb still left behind?

Still going to have a mess in a few days when the SHB and wax moth find it.

I would vote trap out or cut out, you already stated that the post is not structural.

G3

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That beekeeper might be able to get enough bees to get a start on a new hive that way, but it won't get rid of the hive in the column. It might appear to for a day or so, but as the next generation of bees emerge they'll return to full strength in just a few months then you're out whatever you paid the beekeeper and still have the problem.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i have heard of using moth crystals inside the walls to speed up the hive leaving. But Im told it only works when its hot out

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That creates a whole new set of problems. Moth crystals or moth balls are Napthalene which is a pesticide. Basically, same thing as spraying them.

8. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We'll see what happens. We went a saw it last night, we are both thinking that it is older then the month old swarm he said it was. He was okay with the idea of popping the front of the fake column, didn't want to pay for it though, she doesn't want the front of the house touched. She might be a little quicker about closing up holes next time. We said we would do it for free, if we popped the front off of it. It's been a fight for bees here, this year, very few swams and everyone wants removals for free! Ugh!

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's been a fight for bees here, this year, very few swams and everyone wants removals for free! Ugh!

Yup, it was a bad winter. I'm hoping the La Nina` will bring better weather patterns this winter.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Does smoking work to remove a bee hive? No, but I bet if you backed your car or truck up to the building that the bees are living in and attached a hose to the tail pipe and then stuck the other end into the colony's entrance you could kill most of them and then open the wall and rtemove the dead bees and the combs.

Youwould then want to dispose of the whole mess, buried in a landfill. Or some such proper place.

Which is probably not what you wanted to read in reply to your op. sorry.