Does this look okay?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Aug 30, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Last night we opened up the hive and the bees have been hard at work in the upper deep. Lots of capped brood. Lots of uncapped brood. Honey storage and a ton of bees. So, I put on our super. I put the queen excluder right below the super. Then the inner cover on top of the super and the top cover on that. I was worried bees couldn't get through the excluder, but I looked last night and there were a bunch of bees on the top cover and a whole lot of fanning. More than I had seen before. Think everything is okay?

[​IMG]

Jason

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Over the winter, the whole colony will gradually eat their way up to the top of the hive, or so I am told, so I would not use the queen excluder.

They are also called "honey excluders", I suspect there is a reason for this. I only use one when I am trying to find a difficult queen, thus after a week there will only be fresh brood in the box she is in.

That is a really cool hive stand, btw. Easy to grease the metal rods to keep ants out!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Does your super contain drawn comb or just foundation? Bees will not go through an excluder to a box with just foundation. If there is drawn comb in it and you wish to harvest some later, I would not use the excluder until they start filling the comb with nectar and then put the excluder on. Do not leave the excluder on if you intend to leave the honey for the bees as Gypsi mentioned.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if the bees are up above the excluder drawing comb I would leave the set up alone. as a more general rule I do as PerryBee suggest when it come to using excluder (which I do use rather extensively). as far as I can tell there is no hard and fast rule with excluder and new foundation.... that is sometime a hive is hesitant to go thru the excluder and some are not. even one good drawn comb above the excluder remedies this situation.