Dog and bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Feb 22, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

[​IMG]

As talked about before I'm going to place my hives on both sides of the raised planter. In the picture you can see who owns the backyard. Any major issues? Or will she learn the hard way.

2. Larus

Larus New Member

It really depends on the personality of your dog. I've seen dogs who are not interested in bees at all, or somehow know how far away from the hives to stay. I've seen a dog drink from the bees' waterer right alongside the bees, and everyone coexisted peacefully. My dog, on the contrary, likes to snap at flying insects. The first time I let her run off leash next to the hive, she snapped at some bees and got stung once on the ear before I led her away (several guard bees were coming after her at that point). She never bothered the bees again and the bees didn't bother her.
    So I say: supervise the dog the first couple of times you let her out in the yard after you install the beehives and then you will know what you need to do (maybe nothing; maybe surround the hives with some chicken wire).

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

She love chasing butterflies. I'm thinking she is going to get popped! She was stung last year from something on the face. Kinda funny seeing her with a fat face.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have a Chihuahua that will walk around and under the hive even when there is a massive graduation going on and they are very loud, yet if there is a fly in the house, and he sees it, he'll run and hide behind the couch. I've also got a Dachshund that loves to eat bees, wasps, or any other flying insect. He use to clean up the dead in front of the hives, but snapped at a bee flying around his face and got popped on the nose. He won't get within 20 feet of the hives now.

5. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

My pit goes with me to the bee yard, as soon as I open the gate, that is where she stays. I do not think she has ever been stung, but she can hear the bees buzzing in the hives and that seems to tell her something.
    Robert

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some do and some do not. you might be amazed at how many commercial bee keeper have dogs that tag along with them all day long.

my current dogs doesn't do so well around the bees.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The dog will sort it out quickly and all will be fine.A sting or two won't hurt him or her.

8. millerwb

millerwb New Member

My dachshund put his paws on the landing board of a new hive that I have today. One sting to the paw and this afternoon, he gave them lots of room. :shock:

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

My Labradoodle pup took one to the face sometime back and is a lot more cautious around the hives now.

As long as the dog can escape and get away if stung, you should be fine.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My german shepherd/border collie and my rottweiler mix discovered the bees feeding on holly blossoms last year. The dogs fed on the bees quite successfully until I removed them from the area. Since both are also black, they aren't going to be bee dogs.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my prior wymariner did quite well with 'the girls'. first he was not as high strung as my current 'little grey dog' and he also kind of knew when I was going to fool around with the girls. he would position himself directly under my truck just below the transmission and be very very still.

12. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I've got open ground here, but for those with fenced back yards how big is big enough to house both animals (dogs, goats, wallabys, whatever) and honey bees? Seems it would take a fairly large fenced in area. ???

Ed

13. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Your dog may be OK due to his color. Our dog....not so much.

He is a while and black Shih-Tzu that could care less about the bees BUT the bees (I think) view the dog as a skunk (which is a natural predator) and sting his rear end any time he gets within 10 yards of the hives!

Our gray cat, she will sun herself on the outer cover of the hives and they leave her alone. Go figure.

Jim

14. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Another Boilermaker I see!