Don aka the fat beeman shb trap

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by reidi_tim, Sep 3, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Has anyone tried his shb trap using crisco , boric acid and plastic sign material? I do have shb to some extent in all my hives, not at unmanageable level but would like to reduce their numbers. If effective his method seems to make sense. My plan is when the fall hits I'm going to pull the hives off the blocks they are on and replacing them with a 30" x 12' skid painted with 6 treated 4x4 post to hold it up. Going to skim the ground with the bucket on the tractor put down some land scaping fabric to create a barrier for pest

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don's trap does work. Will any trap get every last one of them? NO!

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my neighbor to south tells me they work just fine and in a generally wide latitude of box sizes (baby nucs to full blown hives). I don't use them myself since I enjoy the sport of stabbing them little black devils with the pointed end of my hive tool (the blunt end is unsportsman like).

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

:rolling::rolling:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rules: Rule # 1 - Don't mess with tec! :shock:

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

I still have not seen any SHB here in my location yet. (except in a nuc I got from elsewhere, but hope to not need to buy bees anymore now)
    I'm about 45 minute drive southeast of Albany NY....or about 2 1/2 hr drive north from NYC.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I have them in 2 hives. Could not tell you if they work or not. They both don't have SHB but it could have been their location.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Never would I consider messing with tec, I was really amused with his unsportsman like comment:thumbsup: