Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this will be one of many mistakes along the way. Anyway, I took my half-full top feeder off and sat in on the ground on top of the cover while I inspected my hive. After inspection, I looked down and saw the syrup full of drowning bees. I dropped an alfalfa stalk life line and saved all but two. I poured out the syrup and replaced the top feeder without the top cover to give the rescued bees a chance to dry out and fly out of there. Note to self: Put cover on top feeder after removal.

What do make of this picture? Queen cell? Practice cell? Probably not a good pic, but the drone cells are usually greyish and this is more whitish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Queen cup, no need to be alarmed they are in most all hives. Kind of a way to tell the queen she is not indispensable. If there is a larva inside then it would be a supercedure cell. Like Perry said, color is because it is new wax. worker cells are flat capped, drone cells are dome capped, queen cells hand down vertically and look like a small peanut.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Its a queen cup or practice cell wax color is determined by age of wax. New wax will be more white than older waxt that is reused

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
CELL ID.jpg

Pic of different things on a frame.

If you will notice on the bottom of the queen cell that the wax casing is being cleaned off, this queen was just about to hatch in about 15 minutes.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts