Don't do what I did... and what do make of this cell. Queen?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Jun 23, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I'm sure this will be one of many mistakes along the way. Anyway, I took my half-full top feeder off and sat in on the ground on top of the cover while I inspected my hive. After inspection, I looked down and saw the syrup full of drowning bees. I dropped an alfalfa stalk life line and saved all but two. I poured out the syrup and replaced the top feeder without the top cover to give the rescued bees a chance to dry out and fly out of there. Note to self: Put cover on top feeder after removal.

What do make of this picture? Queen cell? Practice cell? Probably not a good pic, but the drone cells are usually greyish and this is more whitish.

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looks like a drone cell to me. It's new wax so it will be whiter.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Queen cup, no need to be alarmed they are in most all hives. Kind of a way to tell the queen she is not indispensable. If there is a larva inside then it would be a supercedure cell. Like Perry said, color is because it is new wax. worker cells are flat capped, drone cells are dome capped, queen cells hand down vertically and look like a small peanut.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Its a queen cup or practice cell wax color is determined by age of wax. New wax will be more white than older waxt that is reused

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

CELL ID.jpg

Pic of different things on a frame.

If you will notice on the bottom of the queen cell that the wax casing is being cleaned off, this queen was just about to hatch in about 15 minutes.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

litefoot:
    "What do make of this picture? Queen cell? Practice cell?"

a link for you:
    queen cell identification

the thread contains a link to a great pdf file on queen cell identification, and other valuable information.