Don't have a Clue??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 6, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went to two of my outyards today and took off 5 med. supers to extract and one shallow super of comb honey (still more to take off).All the hives i robbed (3) still had around 50# to 80# on after i robbed them? We are in a severe drought, nothing in the woods or fields is blooming, everthing is brown and trees are dying, ponds are drying up and the creeks just have puddles in pockets.. What i found in the 3 hives i robbed and the other 12 hives i peeked into was fresh uncapped nector:shock:.Only two houses within 1/2 mile of either bee yards, and i didn't see any humming bird feeders hanging anywhere? what could they be getting.:???: Jack

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I don't know, but I wish we had some of it around here! :mrgreen:

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

There was another thread where we discussed nectar-during-drought. Can't find it right now. I know here in Indiana, we too are in extreme drought, yet many of us are having excellent honey crops. A beekeeping buddy of mine who's a biology professor explained that during drought many plants actually produce more blooms and nectar. Sort of a last-gasp attemp to reproduce before dying; trying to ensure the survival of the species.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My top brood box and super are packed also, and like yours the bottom box is light or empty on most of the hives i checked. Normally i would reverse the two brood boxes, (in the spring) but this late in the season i'm going to let be like iddee does, and see if they push the queen down? I have screen bottomboards on most of my hives and at first thought that they didn't want brood next to the light, but two hives with solid bottomboards are the same way.Another thing i noticed was the queens that i seen was on the 2, or 9 frames, i'm quessing it's cooler there? Out of the fifteen hives i only seen 4 shb's, i guess it's to hot for them,:grin: (but not for those 4, their dead.) Jack