Don't know what I just saw

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 19, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

It has been very hot and humid here and my bees have been bearding big-time on the hives. On my strong hive it seemed every bee in the colony was outside on the boxes and then all of a sudden they all flew up into a cloud over my yard and just kind of flew in circles. As I was watching that, my weaker hive did the same thing. They are still just flying around the yard all over the place. While the bees were flying around, it looked like the bees still around the hive entrances were in some sort of frenzy. There were no bees fighting so I'm sure there was no robbing but as I look outside I have a cloud of bees hovering over my yard. They didn't seem to be following a queen so I am not sure if it was swarming, besides, what are the chances of two colonies swarming within 10 minutes of each other? I just checked them 4 days ago and added a second deep to my weaker hive. The stronger hive had a second deep that they were just starting to draw comb in. What the heck just happened? These are both packages with plenty of room to grow. I am at a loss:eek:

2. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I had a new hive I started from a nuc swarm on me in the last 10 days. They had plenty of room to expand but wouldn't touch the second box (medium). I ended up making some spacers out of 1X3 to put under the medium so I could move some some deep frames up into the medium to get them started working. I'll probably have to cut some comb off the bottoms of the medium frames but I didn't know what else to do. I'll put all the frames back in the right places after they start working on drawing comb on the neighboring frames. I figure I have a few days before I have a laying queen again.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Watch them closely to see if the swarm lands close by. It sounds like a typical swarm to me. The bees idea of space and yours may not be the same.

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Iddee, I just came in from watching the hives and its pretty quiet now, alot less bees. I'm wondering if I should suit up and check them or wait a few days. I have so much woods around me and it is so windy today I can't seem to locate the swarm. Would 2 colonies swarm at the same time? I found queen cells in my weaker hive the other day but I wanted a new queen because the old one was not doing a good job. I didn't find any queen cells in my strong hive so I am afraid they left the hive queenless. Wow, 2 years with bees and I am having no luck yet.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, 2 colonies are separate cities. One doesn't influence the other. When they are ready, they go.

They did NOT swarm without making queen cells.

There's no reason to go into them now. It is too late to do anything. I would wait 2 weeks and check for eggs.