Double brooder?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Mosti, May 31, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I have 1 hive (growing nuc rather). Summer is on the way and within a month it will be 30-35'C. Up till then wild tyme will bloom and eucalyptus after that, as well as carob trees up untill mid autumn. Currently I am feeding my bees to give that needed push for drawing comb.
    I plan on expanding my hives up to 4 start next spring by getting nucs from the present hive (assuming all goes well up till then).
    Now here is my big dilemma....Do you suggest adding another brooder as this goes along rather than supering? (so that the colony will be strong enough to get 3 nucs from)

Am I expexting to get too much?? :???:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would definitely go double, then watch for the possibility of splitting it 50-50 before winter, then a second split next spring.

3. Mosti

Mosti New Member

hmm...sounds good, would a harvest be available till the end of next spring? And one other question, with a good forage and feeding what would be the average time for a 3 frame nuc growing to a full 9 brooder nuc?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've never seen a 9. Do you mean a 10 frame using only 9 frames?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    And one other question, with a good forage and feeding what would be the average time for a 3 frame nuc growing to a full 9 brooder nuc?

tecumseh:
    feeding nucs of almost any size is a requirement in most location. guessing as to time but with a regular addition of a small amount of syrup and some small early spring flow my guess would be two brood cycles or about 50 days.

If I was thinking about splitting (vs obtaining some honey crop) I would try to keep all the frames of the same size.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Double brood chambers are always a good idea whether for honey production or potential splitting for colony increases. Remember that only strong colonies will gather enough nectar/ honey, for more themselves. As for the number of frames in a standard langstroth hive that would be 10, suspose one could coonstruct a true 9 frame hive if bee space could be maintained and I am certian it could be, but why would you?
    Barry

7. Omie

Omie New Member

If I had a new nuc right now that I was hoping to split into 4 colonies next Spring, i wouldn't be thinking about taking honey from them at all this year- I'd be piling on brood boxes and letting them get a as strong as possible.