Downsize

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Ray, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Time to admit it, I'm getting old!
    I'm going to downsize (next year)- all the way! It'll either be; 5frame deeps or 8frame mediums. Opinions?
    I have all deeps, but 8frame mediums would be more stable:?:. Has anyone cut down frames with comb in them?
    5frame deeps, 4boxes tall before you add your honey supers.:shock:
    (This is just a hobby for me) Does anyone 'out there' use a scaffold system to prop up their hives?
    Converting would be easier? Bottom super the hives, with the five frames side by side; next spring,

Has anyone printed out their ideas and slipped them into the hives for the girls approval?:lol:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""It'll either be; 5frame deeps or 8frame mediums. Opinions?""

My opinion is, it's two wrongs in northern Michigan.

All deep brood chambers and all shallow or medium supers, with an empty box of each size in a wheelbarrow or wagon would be just as easy and much more successful at overwintering.

PS. I'll be 68 in less than a month. I'm not shooting from the dark.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Ray, try to find some information about 'bundling' 5 frame nucs together for overwintering. It might work for your situation, worth an experiment.
    Last winter I successfully brought two 5-frame nucs through the winter by putting their frames all into just one ten frame deep box, with a plastic divider in the middle, and two entrances. I wrapped tarpaper around the whole thing loosely. I read about a guy using straw bales as wind break around his nucs too. Your winters are colder than mine, but maybe youd' get enough worthwhile survivors by bundling 4 separate nuc boxes together, each two boxes high. :think: If it were me I'd try it! ;)

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Remind me again Omie, were those nucs singles, or did you have a super of honey on top of them?
    Thx

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm thinking if they are more than two high a high wind would blow them over. I've had the wind blow two high 5 frame nucs over. The wider the more stable,we have a bee club member (in his mid 80's) go to all sallow supers for hives. Jack

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Perry, they were single nucs, only 5 deep frames each. Both were in a 10-frame deep box, with a thin plastic divider in the middle to keep the colonies separate. Separate entrances, both on either side of the front of the box. Yeah, I was surprised too. :) It just proved to me that I don't necessarily believe one HAS TO have two deeps in the northeast to survive the winter. That said, it was not a really cold winter, but still...!

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Ray. As you said it is a hobby, I would stay with deeps for a brood chamber and super with med or shallows, you can always harvest one frame (or a few )at a time you don't have to wait for a full box. Jim

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I have cut down deeper frames with drawn comb without a problem.

I cut down 14 x 12 frames to 14 x 8.5.

9. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

If it where me and my main concern was making it easy on myself. I woudl go 8 frame med out of your list of choices. Even a deep frame of honey is harder to handle than a med. Plus the stability issue. I like 5 frame boxes as well but if I where going to go permanent but smaller I don't think I would want an entire apiary based on them.

as for cutting down. Nto sure jstu what to tell you. when I consider converting to only med boxes I am faced with the same problem. the only answer that I have thought of that even sounds like a good idea is to sell nucs of 5 frame nucs and purge all my deep frames that way. I have to make new med fraems that way but I think that would be easier than trying to cut down deeps.