drawing comb on the second deep w/o feed

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Jul 7, 2013.

1. adamant

adamant Member

will I have success drawing comb using plastic foundation on the second deep this late in the season without feeding ?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have trouble getting them to draw it early in the season, my guess is no. :roll: Jack

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If there is a flow on they should. Are you baiting them up with some drawn comb?

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I have a Nuc that I got on June 1. By June 15 they stopped taking the feed offered. Now they have both deeps drawn on plastic and about to receive a super. If the flows are strong they will draw things out no problem. I can't say about your area, but here the strongest flows are July and August, so it should be easier to get things drawn out now than in the spring.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If there is a flow on and the bees need the comb built to store the nectar, they are bringing in and have to store the nectar in their honey stomachs because of no cells to store it in. They will secrete wax and draw the plastic cells. If there is not a flow the bees will not build wax unless it is needed to make or repair comb in the brood nest.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

A very location specific question.... basically if you are not experiencing at least some kind of flow and you want to get as much comb drawn as possible then feeding is just a part of that plan.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I believe I would put feed on even if there is a small flow. Usually in July things start drying out. It would be easier to keep them drawing than to get em started after they quit