Drone Brood 1-28-12

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by larry tate, Jan 29, 2012.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Saw some drone brood in the hives we have been pushing. We are in Piedmont NC. Time is getting near!!!

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hope all goes well Larry. :thumbsup: Jack

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Boy! you are early. How many frames do your bees cover?

4. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We have some full of bees 9 in the bottom and 9 in the top. In fact (believe it or not) a double deep with a medium all full of bees had started a queen cell. Moved the frame and shook some bees in to a weak one full of drones due to no queen. Dwindling hive. We will see what happens. Frames are filling with maple nectar?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am seeing a bit of done brood here also. The season is about 2 week early (past records suggest February 15 as the first date for sealed drone brood).

brood and population wise my bees are a bit behind mr tate's. hives were fed some but not really pushed so much.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Could this early development be another complication of global warming? I haven't intruded into my hives while the winter weather is still with us (so i don;t know if drone brood is present), but over the last several years I've observed a very distinct advance in the appearance of the spring's first swarms.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

global warming... don't say that! I guess I just said it again :eek:

I think a part of what is happening here is we have had an extremely mild winter which was proceed by a very dry prior year where nothing much bloomed. we then got fall and winter rains + the milder temperatures and those two things seems to have gotten lots of stuff blooming early.

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I am in Eastern N.C. and checked my hives (wintered with two deeps per hive) this past weekend. They were loaded with bee's almost to the point of what appeared as over crowding and bringing in lots of Maple nectar, nothing like a swamp bottom. I did notice that they were back filling what they had depleted from their Winter stores.
    My question is with this mild of a Winter, no forecast of cold temps and all of the current hive activity when should I start placing supers and giving them more space? Last year it was the first part of March but we actually had a Winter.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Maybe iddee can help you in your area, our weather is crazy here also, mid 60's today and calling for snow next week. :shock: Jack

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When less than 20% of your drawn comb is empty cells.

In reverse, when it is 80% full.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you have sealed frames in the hive and available built frames, at this early stage of the season, when you can still expect a good spate of cold weather, rather than add a whole new super (and increase the area that the bees have to warm) I would suggest exchanging full frames for empties---one or two at a time.
    This suggestion is only practical if you have a small number of hives and can give them individual TLC.
    Keep in mind that "drying" the nectar cools the hive and you don't want to risk chilling them when they should be keeping warm and cozy to encourage even more brood rearing.
    Sounds like you're going to have a bumper season if you get a start with such strong hives.

12. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

efmesch "Sounds like you're going to have a bumper season if you get a start with such strong hives."
    They are looking real good at the moment, I may try your method on the ones I keep at the house. I can monitor those much closer.

Iddee, Are you seeing alot of the same in your area?

Thanks!

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I checked all 5 of my hives for the first time today. They all are laying, with capped and open brood, a few drone cells capped. All have good stores of honey and pollen, and all have open cells of nectar or sugar water. Of course, I have fed a gallon a day of 1:1 or the last 5 days.

BUT, all have much empty comb, so there is plenty of space for expansion.

All in all, they are looking real good.

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Sounds like a great Spring report, Iddee!

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have capped brood in 3 hives and saw 1 drone moving on a frame, 1 of the hives is a double deep 10 frame and I saw 3 clumps of capped drone cells and I saw 1 queen cup just started. :Dancing:

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have capped brood everywhere, its kinda scary for the end of January to see temps in the 80s and the girls are building like mad, my hives are going to explode in population.

17. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

It is looking more & more like the girls down south had no winter break! Just hope it does not come in the Spring, almost all of my peach trees are blooming....

18. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Glad to hear it Iddee, I figured you were seeing the same. I plan on going in my hives at the house today just to see whats going on & hopefully get into my ones at the farm this weekend.

Are you feeding at the hives or do you have an open feeder a distance away?

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Open feeding. On my porch. Too lazy to leave the house every day.

20. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Found great patches of capped drone brood in the bigger hives yesterday. Grafting not far away.