Drone brood and Burr comb.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I had a look through one hive and pulled two foundationless drone frames to check for mites. Cant remember how I came to have two. I uncapped and pulled both sides of one frame and did not see any sign of mites. Some came out mess up but lots of intact snow larvae with nary a speckle. That is the hive that was overrun last summer and had poor laying pattern. She is doing well this year and gave some frames to the neighbour hive that went queenless but that hive always is later to start in the morning and so I am requeening that one and the neighbour that requeened itself. If I had more bees I would start a couple of nucs with the old queens but prefer to get some of the new genetics in the mix as there are no other bees than mine within flying distance.

I noticed remarkably little burr and brace comb; that might be a result of lettting them draw and fill lots of drone comb. It also could have something to do with perhaps different genetics of that queen. 1 is a very small sample to base a conclusion on!

2. The Bee Guy

The Bee Guy New Member

When rearing queens you can put a frame with a starter strip on the outside and it will let the bees draw out burr comb.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

If your bees are allowed one or two whole drone frames, they are way less likely to be desperately building drone burr comb in any little corner they can find. I have a whole deep drone frame or two in every hive and I hardly get any burr comb at all. My friends don't use drone frames and they get burr comb quite frequently. But that might be due to people also leaving too much 'bee space' available. Give them extra space inside the hive, and the bees will happily fill it with comb. :smile: