Drone comb - honey comb?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Ray, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

PerryBee's latest thread; about using plastic drone foundation (I think) for honey storage at positions 1 & 10, has got me wondering. How many of you beeks, use this stuff and at what positions? The stuff would work great in an extractor.
    Enquiring minds want to know:grin:

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Too bad it is not available in mediums!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i don't use them ray, but one could cut the sheet to fit a medium super frame......

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I think it is frame/foundation one piece but you could cut the frame off to get just the foundation panel then cut it down to medium; have done it with the mann lake PF but you have to really, really, want to do it to go to that trouble.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The deal perry got is on the pesieo frames that are a one piece frame and plastic foundation all together. They are designed to be used as varoa control drone frames. Used as control frames for varoa they are placed in the top brood box in # 2 and 8 positions. The outside frames the bees mostly store honey in so the frames used in these locations wont effect worker brood production. Some like drone size cells for use in the honey supers because less beeswax is needed to draw out the comb resulting in more nectar being stored.
    The frame can be placed in the center of the brood area if drones are wanted to populate the queen mating areas with drones from selected hives. If you are raising queens on a small scale with out the benefit of maltable yards. Reducing drone comb in the hives used for grafting from and increasing drones at the proper age to co-inside with the mating of the queens.