Drone comb mite control

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by brendantm130, Jun 17, 2010.

1. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I was wondering who uses drone comb to control mites, and what is your protocol. I bought two for my two hives, and now I think I need two more so I've got two each. You put them in (which position?), take them out when full and freeze it? Put another in position while the first is being frozen?

Thanks

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Well, I don't do it myself, but I have seen it done. I have a friend who uses those green plastic drone comb foundations. He puts them in the second or third position in from the outer edge of his hive. He also carries a big knife. When he comes across one of these frames he removes it and cuts the capping off the comb and knocks the pupae onto the ground.

Now this isn't a regular thing, because he has 750 to 1,000 colonies and doesn't concentrate on this as real mite control, but you could probably do something similar. Especially if you have some chickens. They love the stuff.

If you are going to use drone combs as a mite control method, don't destroy all of the drone comb in your hives. You know, the small patches that you find here and there in a hive. The colony likes having them around. And if you destroy all of them or remove all of them the colony will replace them w/ new drone comb. The bees know the right balance.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

4. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I looked at your link, but still haven't decided to do it yet or not.