Drone overload

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beebuzzed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I am curious if I should be worried about what I have found. I just did a quick inspection yesterday to find a high number of hatched drone, and a lot of drone brood already. I would have been even more worried about it being a laying worker if I did not see a decent amount of worker brood but, that was not the case. The lower deep had a lot of Drone brood, and the upper a lot of worker brood. I also saw probably 12 or so queen cups. I am also concerned if they have enough to eat now because 2 weeks ago they were loaded with uncapped honey stores and had no drone yet so I pulled 2 frames probably leaving them with 7 to 8 frames full of honey. I thought I would be pulling more frames of honey out yesterday to give more room. Now I guess I should be placing them back in. Any thoughts?

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Sounds like a normal, healthy, spring colony.

I've been seeing signs of an early swarm season here in central Indiana. I'd be watching that colony closely, with an eye toward making splits if those cups turn into cells.

Sounds like they have plenty. I'd be more worried about being honey-bound and a congested brood area. Make sure the queen has lots of room to lay.

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I was planning tonight to do a split, and allowing the new nuc to make their own queen. This colony swarmed on me last year and don't won't it to happen again. I am afraid of it being to early. I am not very close to this particular hive and don't always have a good opportunity to check them regularly. I just don't want to be too late. Would you recommend this now?
    Thanks

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Since you've got drones, given the other conditions you cited, I'd make the split.

5. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

That's for the help

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

7. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

For a follow up, I did make the split and I think it was good timing. When I got there they filled all the cups with royal jelly and had one cell almost complete. I hope my first split ends in success.