Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Rast:
great web site. I enjoyed the guys writing style. also kind of refreshed my memory somewhat. a great little snippet on mr Powers who I think along with my neighbors down the ways started rearing queen bees in Hawaii.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did a pretty good inspection of most all hives yesterday. LOTS of drone cells, some capped and saw a few drones. Time for a first grafting this coming week.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I helped a guy check his hives yesterday. Plenty of capped drone cells in the burr comb between the boxes. With the weather forecast in the 60's for the next 10 days, this area can expect queen cells in strong, crowded hives.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yesterday, I was watching the bottom boards observing the bees coming and going and I noticed that one of the girls was furiously assaulting a small drone. I think she was trying to sting it and they both fell off the bottom board onto the grass.

I wanted to stop the assault and tell her to be nice. Afterall, he was survivor of the winter as well.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Tec, your right. There have been times i have found lots of drones still in the hive in late fall ( after other hives had kicked theirs out). and some even go through the winter with the cluster? I have found that if this happens, you probably don't have a Queen. I've had this happen twice and could not find a Queen. Watching drones at different times of the year and the amount of drones at different times of year for me can raise a red flag. Jack

21 - 27 of 27 Posts