Drone Queen Cell?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CeeGee, Apr 10, 2013.

1. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

I have never come across this before: One of my hives is showing signs of a drone layer or laying worker - and the ONLY cells anywhere are drone (many of which have already emerged) except for one capped Q cell. Now normally I trust them to do the right thing, but I find it weird that I have two full frames of drone cells, absolutely no worker (capped or otherwise) and just one, lone Q cell. I'm leaving it be for now but starting to wonder if, in desperation and pheromonal confusion, they will treat a drone larva like a Q? or did they somehow secure the last worker larva (thus making it a drone-layer). Thanks

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have seen this before myself, and they're almost always a dud, nothing ever emerges.
    Better to move a frame with eggs from another hive over and give them something viable to work with.

3. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Thanks Perry - I kind of thought that might be the case, but wanted a second opinion before taking a frame from one of the others

4. Ray

Ray Member

From what I have read:
    You also need to get rid of that drone laying queen, if in fact that's what she is. The bee's might not make queen cells if she still producing pheromones and eggs.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ceegee, are there any eggs anywhere in the frames? if you have multiple eggs in a cell and on the sides, you have a laying worker. how old was your queen?

6. Omie

Omie New Member

CeeGee- are you experienced in spotting eggs yet? Can you find eggs anywhere? Can you provide a photo of what you are seeing?

7. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

CeeGee, I had a laying worker once. It was a nightmare. It looked like eggs were just randomly dropped all over the place. Some cells even had as many as 5 eggs in them!
    What I did - moved the entire hive about 300yds away and shook ALL the bees off every frame. The theory behind this is that the laying worker (or it can be more than 1) will not be able to find her way back home. Only the foragers will. I lucked out and was able to immediately introduce a queen in a queen cage and everything was fine after that. Hope this helps! Good luck! If you can't introduce a mated queen I would say you'd fare just fine with a frame of eggs from another hive.
    =)

8. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

No - this is definitely a drone-laying Q. It's not the multiples of a laying worker, (it's great drone brood - solid and full frames) and their not acting Qless (aggressive and that wondrous roar), though they are a bit testy, but they're at the end of the row. I stuck a frame of eggs in Sat, so I'm curious if they will do anything with it. If nothing else, the drones are flying early (for this spring, at least) in SE Ohio (But the genetics may be questionable) Thanks for your help all.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Keep in mind that hives tend to want to produce a very large number of drones in early Spring if allowed to. This is naturally in preparation for swarm/mating season. Later, the production of drones drops off significantly.
    Are you seeing patches of capped flat worker brood as well?
    What kind of foundation are you giving them?

10. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Quite true, but I've never had drones before the dandelion bloom before, and there is no worker brood of any kind. I've had laying workers before, and this didn't "feel" like one. It was just that they had this big, beauty of a capped Q cell, and not a single worker cell anywhere, hence my puzzlement. But Perry was dead on (no surprise) - that cell was empty air. Now I just want to see if they will build one to supersede, or if I need to find queeny and pinch her first. (I've got plenty of egg frames, so it's a bit of an experiment at this point) Thanks