Drone Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Sep 29, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I was under the impression that the bees killed off the drones in the fall. I don't see any drones when I watch the door but I have a small amount of drone brood in my honey supers. Could this be attributed to laying workers up in the supers? I have never seen my queen up in the supers.

2. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

Shouldn't have laying workers if the hive has a queen present. Do you by chance have an excluder on? If not I suspect they just haven't shut down drone production yet. When it gets time they will get rid of them.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The queen will go all over the hive. She got up in the honey super and laid drone eggs because of the larger cell size. All sounds perfectly normal. You can rotate the drone brood to the outer frames until it hatches. Then pull the honey when they get it back filled or pull it now and cut around the drone brood when extracting. The workers will start soon if not already evicting drones, However, the assumption they kill all drones off is not always the case there are a limited few in some hives that for one reason or another get to overwinter with a hive.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Has it been documented that a queen lays drone eggs? Maybe workers produce the drones as needed. I know...far fetched..but who knows.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Both. Queens have been documented. Also, it is said that most all hives have a laying worker or two during normal times. The queen pheromone keeps them from getting too abundant.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

even after the boys have been kicked out you may still have a bit of drone brood in the hives that will still hatch when the time comes. it has been suggested (speculated) that the distance from the brood patch to the outermost super might thins out the queen pheromone (which is really what suppresses laying workers from laying eggs) enough so that laying workers will lay a few drone eggs.