Drones are flying!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Feb 22, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I just came form the hives and drones are coming out of the TBH. I did not know that they took orientation flights also?
    Robert

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ya its a sweet sight, I have drones all over the place, now that they have set up the "drones singles bar" someplace near by I can start making nucs up :yahoo:

3. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I checked on my hives today and one of them had numerous drones out on the front porch too. :shock: The weather is warn and sunny and flowers are popping out. It is perfect bee weather. :D This has been a first for me as it is my first year at keeping bees. When you say you can make nucs Zookeep, what is your process in that? Does the sign of these little fellows mean the hive or hives are also rearing a new queen? :confused:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Every hive likes/needs to have some drones kicking around (they never know when they might need them). They will usually begin raising them at this time (not up here yet). The appearance of drones now in your area is nothing to worry about. Once they have served their purpose for the year they will be shown the door in the fall.
    Zookeep is probably talking about making nucs or splits, but of course you need new queens for that and a queen needs you-know-what in order to lay fertile eggs. :oops: (Drones)
    There are many ways to do splits or make up nucs, you can introduce purchased queens or let them raise their own. All you really need to get started in a populous/thriving hive.

5. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Thanks Perrybee for the information. :thumbsup: Of course the lesson in the bees and the bees is priceless. Those little guys must stay pretty wound up in a house full of women when only one will work. :rotfl: