Drones, Drones There Everywhere!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by goliath1723, Jun 24, 2012.

1. goliath1723

goliath1723 New Member

Okay, maybe not everywhere per-say but I was out watching my bees the other day (saturday) and I noticed a few drones coming back to the hive. I was a little skeptical because I thought drones did only one thing, mate. So, since it was late in the day I thought I would look in the hive today (sunday) and see what was going on. Unfortunately I do not have the experience to know what to do because after looking in the hive I saw on just about every frame about 10-12 drone cells, with one in particular being about 1/2 honey, 1/4 brood and the other 1/4 drone cells. Anyway, I thought it might be workers laying but then I saw my queen on the third frame I picked up. What I am wondering is if my queen is failing or if there is something else natural going on that the "First Lesson in Beekeeping" is not telling me. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Goliath1723

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You will see drones all year til the fall, nothing unusual. Seems like some hives make more drones than others, but the drone population needs to be there not only for your hives but for your neighbors hives...think genetic diversity. You could have a queen get superceded, killed, make a split, etc..all of these will produce a virgin queen that needs to be mated, so therefore we have drones.

Welcome to the forums also :hi:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First (and most importantly) Welcome to our forum! :thumbsup:
    Bees raise drones for different reasons at different times. You will usually find more drones on frames on the outside frames of your box, away from the brood rearing center.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lol I worry if I dont see drones going in and out, sounds to me like its normal in your hive and welcome to the forum its a good place to learn what ya need to know :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Unfortunately I do not have the experience to know what to do because after looking in the hive I saw on just about every frame about 10-12 drone cells, with one in particular being about 1/2 honey, 1/4 brood and the other 1/4 drone cells.

tecumseh:
    drone production is much more evident as the season wears on. the distribution of drone cells are normally on the outer edges of the primary brood patch... with the outer most frames (those frames towards the outside of the box) SHOULD represent the highest proportion of drone cells.

there is of course survival reason for drone cells being strategically placed in this place. queen cells in swarm situation are also quite liklye to be located in this same 'edge' of the brood nest.

Drones also (just like workers) do orientation flights which I suspect somewhat explains your observation of their coming and going.