Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was wondering...
in warm climates, is there still a season where drones get kicked out and there are no queencells/virginqueens/matingflights happening?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Drones permanent in hot climates?

You mean a place where it never gets cold, the ladies do all the work, cleaning, feeding, foraging, etc. and you never get kicked out?

"Heaven" sounds about right! :mrgreen:

(My apologies to Omie for my chauvinistic attempt at humour on her thread, I shall "go to the back of the bus")

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Omie, Maybe at the equator, they get kicked out here in about Nov. and depending on the bees, sometimes during a summer dearth. Good question.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I will ask my South African Beek, he clearly said they have food all year and never feeds a full hive.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Perrybee, it does sound like heaven if a drone could find a place like that. :thumbsup: But then there's always that chance you might get lucky on one of your flights,and you know what happens then. :eek: Jack

PS. sorry Omie, i couldn't help it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
974 Posts
So my South African beek responded.

He said he has never actually thought about this or looked, but he will remove all drones when trying to build up a weak hive, and thinks he had had to do this in all seasons. He catches a lot of feral swarms in his region.

He will now make an effort to look into this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts