Drones

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It seems everyday at this time (4:30-5:00pm) that the drones come back. At least I'm hoping they're drones. They are large and much darker on the tail. First I thought they were some other kind of bee robbing the hive but the workers weren't paying them no mind. I was going to suit up and open the hive to make sure they weren't terrorizing it but I thought I'd better ask here. They are MUCH noisier than the workers.

I've also noticed that my water supply is finally being used. It's a dog waterer with stones in the dish and a screen under the lid so no bees can get inside the container. Only workers use the waterer. Do the drones not seek out water for themselves?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It sure sounds like they are drones from what you are describing.
    As far as whether drones seek out water for themselves, I am not sure. I know like most of us fellers they're pretty lazy and just like us, they probably like to have their drinks fetched for them as well ;)

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

More than likely drones coming in for the evening after hanging out in the drone congregation area.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think G3 has the right idea on this one. mating is generally associated with the late afternoon so those that were unsuccessful (and thereby still alive <how twisted up is that?) are returning home to chow down for tomorrow. Drones are pretty much unable to do anything for themselves so no I don't think they would be collecting any water.