Beekeeping Forums banner

Drought year Question?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brooksbeefarm 
#1 ·
Had a club member tell me she was going to start taking supers off and start extracting next week. She ask if she should leave one super on for the bees because of the hot dry weather we've been having. I told her most of my queens have slowed down on laying, and i've been going into the brood box to see how much stores they have and was leaving around thirty pounds of honey on to get them to Sept. Our fall flow usually starts around then. I sell quarts of honey this year for $13.25 (3 lbs.) and can replace it with 2 to 1 syrup for $1.00 (3 lbs.) or less. We've had a good early flow, i've had some hives produce 120 lbs of surplus honey plus a 30lb. comb honey super.I told her, of course were at the mercy of mother nature and wish i could be of more help. What kind of answer would you have given. :confused: Jack

#3 ·
Murrell, yes my wife and i will be working our booth in the SE cornor of the E- Plex building on Aug. the 5th (fri.) from 4:00 to 10:00 pm. Our activity director said he is having trouble finding enough members to work the fair this year (will find out tonight at our club meeting) so i may have to work more. I'll find out tonight. Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.