Dry Pollen substitute

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

8 parts brewers yeast, "spent"
    1 part soy flour
    1 part granulated sugar, ran in blender to make smaller particles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

January 30, 2011

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like a big hit with the girls, but you better get the wifes dishes back in the house! :club:

3. scdw43

scdw43 New Member

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

He might gain a lump on his head!

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

6. Tia

Tia New Member

Iddee, what do you mean, "spent"? No pollen here; need your help!

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Spent means it has been used to make beer and is no longer living yeast. It is 37% protein and the bees love it. It is also a powder, so the shb don't bother it.

8. Tia

Tia New Member

So I can't crush the brewers yeast tablets I give to my animals and use them? I guess those are live yeasts. How do I "spend" them?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How do I "spend" them?

Make beer??

I don't know what they are. Spent yeast can be gotten from any brewery at a nominal cost. I am selling it here for .50 per lb.
    Check with any local brewery or search for homebrewing and find the local brew club.

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Tia, if I'm not mistaken the brewer's yeast from the health food store is "spent"... it just means that it's not a viable yeast anymore.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee I noticed in one picture there appears to be two bottles of syrup. is this necessary equipment to get the girls to notice the 'pollen' or is just something extra?

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The yeast doesn't seem to be a strong attractant. Some beeks add real pollen, dried egg yolk, soy flour, or other stuff as an attractant.
    This guy is using sugar water for an attractant as well as feeding.

13. Tia

Tia New Member

Before seeing Iddee's post I had actually mixed the crushed brewers yeast tablets with the girls' own honey, but they're still raiding the bird feeders rather than the "substitute" just 4 feet away. I thought sure the honey would attract them!

14. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hey Iddee - is this something you just put out dry? I have never heard of this before. How much and how often?

We have had a warm week here and all my hives are out buzzing. I have put out a couple of "community" syrup 2:1 jars - 100 ft or so from the hives and they downed them in a hurry. On one hive I can tell that they must have hit the dry sugar because I see bits of newspaper at the entrance. I still have my entrances reduced to about 1 - 2 inches.

When does a person need to start the 1:1? It's too early isn't it?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Brewers yeast can be fed dry. It isn't a great attractant, so it is mixed with other items to get them to come to it. Such as soy flour, powdered milk, finely ground sugar, even natural pollen. You can make your own recipe with whatever you have or can get easily. They have been taking it here like they were starving, until Tuesday. Then they quit. That's when they found pollen in the field. Start with a cup or two, then see how often you have to replace it. That will tell you how often. How much? Enough to be used up before it rains. :confused: :wave:

1:1 can be fed now. I have been feeding it for about 2 weeks.

16. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

If I do feed 1:1 now do I use a boardman feeder in all the hives? I remember last year I did the 1:1 and left the shim on where I had the dry sugar and those bees built comb and connected it to the top of the inner cover. So it was the size from the frames all the way up to the inner cover. So I thought this year when I started the 1:1 with a boardman feeder I would take the dry sugar off.

Or do you think I should feed the 1:1 as a "community" feed? 100 ft or so from the hives.....for now anyway. We still will have some cold/freezing weather coming our way.

If I start the 1:1 now don't I have to keep it up till a nectar flow gets going?

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the hives don't have stores, continue the 2:1. The shims should be removed prior to the flow. Never have open areas in the hives when there is a flow. They will always fill it with comb.
    1:1 is to start raising brood, which will only use more stores. If they do have plenty, then yes, once you start 1:1, you must continue it until the flow. I like to community feed. Many beeks do not. The method of feeding is strictly personal preference.

18. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

My brother in law is the brew master for a local micro brewery. I'll have to check into getting some spent brewer's yeast. This is interesting.

19. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

If you can't find spent brewers yeast,will just regular brewers yeast work as well???

20. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Since you are near Tampa, try Yuengling Brewing Co-Tampa Inc
    I called and left a message to see if they will give us some. Yuengling is just south of the Gardens on Bruce B Downs.