Dumb Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 3, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My bees that I got from a cutout can't master how to use foundation. They're ok with foundationless but if there is foundation they'll build the combs perpendicular to the foundations. I just don't have enough comb built up to give them any more foundationless.

I can't imagine that requeening would solve this as all the bees in there should have been born in that hive and not in the wall cavity in which they came from. So it's not like they aren't used to the new hive....except for the queen and a few senior citizen bees.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you using plastic or wax foundation? Sounds like a problem a lot have with plastic

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will use the foundation if it is wax and if it is pushed tightly together. They are not dumb. They prefer natural over man made, if there is room to do so.You have to remove the extra room. If plastic, you're on your own. I don't use it.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Eddy, sometimes those bees don't have a clue. You could try turning the hive body 90-degrees...that would put the frames pointed in the direction that the bees are currently building in.

Ed
    [​IMG]

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^^ lol^^^

It's a combination of wax and plastic foundations.
    They've done a good job filling in all the rubber banded comb frames so they are nice and sturdy and have done a nice job with the foundationless. I'll swap out a few more drawn combs from my smart hives and give to this hive.