Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bees that I got from a cutout can't master how to use foundation. They're ok with foundationless but if there is foundation they'll build the combs perpendicular to the foundations. I just don't have enough comb built up to give them any more foundationless.

I can't imagine that requeening would solve this as all the bees in there should have been born in that hive and not in the wall cavity in which they came from. So it's not like they aren't used to the new hive....except for the queen and a few senior citizen bees.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
you using plastic or wax foundation? Sounds like a problem a lot have with plastic

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
They will use the foundation if it is wax and if it is pushed tightly together. They are not dumb. They prefer natural over man made, if there is room to do so.You have to remove the extra room. If plastic, you're on your own. I don't use it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ lol^^^

It's a combination of wax and plastic foundations.
They've done a good job filling in all the rubber banded comb frames so they are nice and sturdy and have done a nice job with the foundationless. I'll swap out a few more drawn combs from my smart hives and give to this hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts