dumb harvesting question.....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Omie, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, here's a newbie question...

If you have medium supers with wooden frames and wax foundation that comes pre-wired....
    is there a way (or more than one way) to get the honey if you don't have access to an extractor?

I know that if the foundation was not wired one could just cut the whole comb off and do a crush and strain...

but the wires? Is there a way?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pretend it isn't there.....

Cut the comb out and crush & strain..

3. Omie

Omie New Member

But....aren't the wire ends folded and clamped in under the wedge? Should the wires be cut through, or should the wedge be removed first and the whole foundation (along with the wires) be removed with the comb?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would remove the wedge and then once the comb and honey is removed from the frame take something like pliers and pull out the wires. since the wires are extemely stiff the ends will have a tendency to stick your fingers.

another strategy that works almost as good as crush and strain is to cut out the comb and honey in a double boiler (water bath), heat at a low temperature and when the wax finally goes liquid remove from the stove and allow to cool. when wax hardens remove in a sheet and pour off the honey. heating will tend to slighly darken the honey, but low heat will not aversely affect the taste.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Great tips! Thanks!

In the double boiler method, do you have to crush the comb chunks at all, or does the melting automatically release all the honey from the cells as they melt?
    Must need a pretty big double boiler, huh?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With a large knife, I cut down both sides and across the bottom. Then I "fold" the comb down and out of the frame, pulling most, if not all, wires out with the frame. It leaves very little comb in the frame, and that can be scraped out easily. Then remove the wedge and clean the frame in prep for new wax.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh, yes, makes perfect sense- thanks so much! :D

(maybe without an extractor I should eventually get wax foundation without wires for the medium supers)

8. rast

rast New Member

What Iddee said will work (naturally). He answered what you asked. But to me fresh drawn comb is like gold for the next flow or split. Make sure you check around and even try the "wanted" section of craigslist for someone to extract it for you. If its old black comb it doesn't matter. I'll extract a couple of hives or so for a newby for free if they do the cleanup and learn by helping. I'm sure others would too.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only wireless wax I would use would be for comb honey in shallow supers.

Murphy's law... As soon as you put wireless wax in all your mediums and get them half way drawn out, someone will give you an extractor...

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup: LOL

11. Omie

Omie New Member

I may be able to find someone somewhere around here...though our area's Craigslist has NOTHING for bees or honey stuff. :cry:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

omie writes:
    In the double boiler method, do you have to crush the comb chunks at all, or does the melting automatically release all the honey from the cells as they melt?
    Must need a pretty big double boiler, huh?

tecumseh:
    I guess the size of the pots would somewhat depend on how much comb honey you have. All you need do is cut out the comb and drop in the pot... no need to fold, spindle and multilate. I have a set (3) of stainless steel pots where the smaller size fits (sleeves) into the next size which I obtained from WalMart. I also use these to sterilize jars when I am canning on preping old jars to be used as honey jars.

Place perhaps a half gallon of water in one of the larger size pots, drop in the next smaller size pot and voila a double boiler.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I Used the wireless thin foundation with good results when I first started in Medium frames. In fact I am still useing some of it with the extractor. Start really slow since it doesn't have any wire for support.

Have you looked in the the home made extractor in the building section?

:D Al

15. Omie

Omie New Member

Thank you all....great thoughts and ideas and leads. :)

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Just lookedthis upa few months ago for a lady I had taught.
    Yes it is plastic but with care should last a very long time.

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_P ... =extractor, plastic 2 frame&Token=12.75.41.218:{ts_2009-10-27_05:59:00}-100239

$138.50.

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_P ... Name=three frame stainless extracto&Token=12.75.41.218:{ts_2009-10-27_05:59:00}-100239

$282.00 but is metal and3 frames.

they have another 3 frame metal one that I think could be converted to a motor. It however is over $300.00

:mrgreen: Al

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks Al! Bookmarked. :)