Dumb move with Queen cage

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Fuzzystuff, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I installed a new queen in a cage 4 weeks ago to a hive that was queenless. I followed all the same things that I have done in the past wait 48 hours pulled the cork, left them a lone for 2 weeks. I checked on them and bees were calm and busy. I never checked the cage they had built comb all around it and had the frame 1/2 full with comb, so figured she was out. I did not see any eggs or capped cells and I could not find her, but we have had 100+ temps for what seems like weeks in Kansas and my other queens have slowed their laying so I did not fret. I check the hive today (4 weeks since install of queen) and still no brood. Lots of capped honey but that is it, so I went to looking again and I started with the pile of bees around the cage. I'm sure you have guessed it by now she was never released. They had been caring for her through the cage. I removed the comb they built and checked the cage and their was a half of cork in the cage candy blocking the entrance. What a fool I am I never looked and just assumed when I pulled the whole cork 26 days ago. I opened the screen and see walked out and on to a frame with bees. I heard some noise and I think she was making it. All the bees around her were rubbing their antennas to hers as if to say "where have you been I missed you". I hope I have not done to much damage to this hive by my foolish mistake. Lesson learned always double check the cork and the cage.

Just thought I would share my folly with the rest of you. I feel so discussed with myself. The farmer next door has left his alfalfa and has not cut it because of the heat. It is full of blooms so I hope they are hitting it as best they can.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Yikes, a month in a teeny jail cell- poor thing! I too wonder if any damage happened because she maybe could lay eggs all that time? Gosh who knows? But do check for eggs and larvae in about 10 days, so you know she is functioning. (let the poor thing rest undisturbed for at least a week I'd think before checking again.)

I think you should thoroughly discuss your disgust with yourself.
    And then maybe even cuss at yourself! :lol:

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Great I have an english teacher here too. :oops:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Don't be too hard on yourself, at least you have a live queen. Like Omie said give her a week and see what is going on then. I say she will be just fine.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect your little accidental experiment does likely demonstrate just how long a queen can survive in one of those little cages.

ps... I would also guess that one or two of us here could also confess to having mishandled a queen on occasions. For myself I don't beat up on myself when I mishandle a $20 queen.... a $100 queen does make me grind my teeth a bit.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I'm sure your next post will be all about the eggs you can see :D

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I'll keep you all posted.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

please do and I do hope Zulu is correct.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

I think the odds are that she will be ok since they were able to feed her all that time. I too hopefully await the outcome.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

At least the hive had enough time to get to know her. [That's the part of the cup that's full] :oops:

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Just reporting 28 days in a queen cage + 100 degrees plus = lost hive. I'm sick over it. Brought the hive home to let my home hive rob out what stores are left. Stupied, stupied, stupied.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good information none the less. sorry for your loss.

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Fuzzystuff:
    Consider it a learning experience. As others have posted here on this forum-we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes. Don't be ashamed of failure-it just means you're human. Thank you for sharing you experiences, whether good or bad, with us. Folks here don't judge-we just try and help each other.
    Rodger

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and some of us have made exactly the same mistakes on numerous occasions.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My sympathies for your loss. I think that in your anguish you took the hard way of transferring the wanted contents of your lost hive to the home hive. It probably would have been better to simply transfer the combs rather than teaching your bees to rob.

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

awww, I'm sorry for your loss!

17. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I would have but all I have left is a Warre hive and the bars are not interchangeable.

18. jozelmer

jozelmer New Member

Sorry for your loss - but thank you for sharing. We all make mistakes. This has been my first year beekeeping, and when I first put the bees and the caged queen in my hive, for some reason I thought the cork was candy...so I put her in the hive just as she was. Then all that night I kept thinking about it...if the cork was made of candy, the bees would have eaten it, and released her while they were being transported. :oops:

I had to go back out to the hive the next day, pull the cork and release her. I felt so silly...but I guess it all worked out.