Dysentery

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by kemptville, Jun 4, 2012.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Newbie with a problem! Two weeks ago (May 19) I installed two nucs into new equipment and have performed only 1 inspection (May 27) - all good. On May 31 I added a top feeder to Hive # 1 which was the weaker of the two and inspected both entrances for activity - all good. Yesterday, 3 days later, I checked the hives (visually) and saw that Hive # 2 (the stronger hive) has some dysentery on the landing board as well as the front of the hive body. The weather has been poor since May 31, with frequent periods of rain. Temperature wise it's been between 15-20 C (59-68F). Both nucs are overwintered with 2011 queens. I'm unsure if the nucs were ever treated for Nosema last Fall or this Spring before I received the nucs - I never asked.

Other than keeping an eye on the hive in the next few days/weeks, what should I be doing/not doing? I'd be interested in hearing about late spring dysentery incidents and anything else that could be useful here.

BEES-073.JPG BEES-074.JPG BEES-076.JPG

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

you can expect fecal staining so one degree or another, has the weather in your area warmed up enough for the bees to get outside everyday. If it has, the problem will clear itself up. consider feeding fumidilin believe is spelt right, for nosema and no the temps still not quite warm enough for daily cleansing flights. When you get inside the hive--look for fecal staining inside the hive that will tell you much more then the outside markings.
    Barry

3. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Yes the weather has been very warm up until last week (mid-week) when it turned to rain. Its been raining off and on for the past 3 days and cloudy today. Its currently 55F getting up to 61F this afternoon. Once it is sunny and warmer I will have a look inside the hive. I'll also have a look at some photos I took on my inspection on May 27th.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what are you feeding. sometimes when feeding and the bees are shut down flying they will have some staining on the hive when they are finally able to get out and go

5. kemptville

kemptville New Member

The hive in question hasn't been fed since i installed it two weeks ago. The other hive on the other hand has been fed up until yesterday using Michael Bush's 1:1 syrup (pint:lb)

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this is something of a difficult question since you have been feeding one hive and not the other.... but do the two hives seem to be growing at a 'normal' rate (normal meaning at your location and for this time of year)?

dysentary which is often (but not always) associated with nosema typical manifest itself in the bees dying faster than they can be replaced so the ultimate effect of nosema is either a dwindling or non growing hive <often even when feed is added. quite often nosema also displays itself during cool wet spells.

I think I would quite quickly invest in some fumidil.