Early Mom Day present!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bwwertz, May 12, 2012.

1. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

(sing to the tune of "Happy Birthday")
    Happy (early) Mother's Day to me!
    Caught my first swarm in a tree-ee!
    :yahoo:

YAHOO! Caught my first swarm today. My daughter (7yo) had her dress rehearsal for her dance recital today. Took her there, had a good time, then went to the bank. Then had a little time to kill before meeting the hubby and son for a late lunch/early dinner and decided to go to Walgreens to get a Mother's Day card for my Mom..... go in, get cards, come back out (less than 10 min in the store).....get into car....looking down to start my car/put on my seatbelt (honest, officer!) and my daughter - who has very little interest in bees most days - says: "Uh, Mommy - aren't those honeybees?" I looked up - said a few words my 7yo shouldn't be hearing and basically said "HECK YEAH, MIA! THAT'S A SWARM OF HONEYBEES! OH MY GOSH!" Needless to say, I was so excited I could barely see straight! Got the hubby to divert from our eating location, head to Walgreens to SIT and wait till I came back with our equipment. It was a cinch! Made a quick phone call and now I have "hived" my first swarm and made $75 bucks selling them to a new local beek. I could not have planned a better day if I tried!!!!! I wanted to keep the girls, but just don't have the extra equipment lying around just yet. Hope you enjoy the few pics I took. I was going to upload the video - it was taken by my very proud 7yo (as well she should be!), but I couldn't get it to upload. =(
    YEEHAWW! I'm a happy camper here! Really wanted to share! =)

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! I have swarm to get tomorrow morning early. Hope it is still there. Gotta try to sneak out before Mother's Day festivities begin or I will not live to see Monday.......oh...and happy mother's day to ya....:smile:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for sharing. so that is you in the tree? so what did your daughter think about mom up in a tree?

4. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Yes, that's me in the tree. =) I think my daughter has come to realize I am not like "most other mothers." =) I'm also a firefighter and a paramedic (not typically "female" jobs - although becoming more so) - among lots of other things. But hey, my "craziness" as she calls it, sure gives her great stories to talk about at school! I think she enjoyed being the one with the camera while people stopped and stared (in the "safety" of their cars!). I was on cloud nine all day after catching the swarm - it was awesome! Even made a new friend and "connection" with the newbee down the street! =)blueblood - I hope you can get the swarm and it's still there! The way I see it - our spouses should practically beg us to catch swarms! I told my family it was like gold hanging in a tree! They wouldn't pass THAT up would they!? =)

5. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I LOVE getting bees for Mother's Day! Any way we can... installed my package yesterday :yahoo: And I love not being a typical mother, too! ...Happy Mother's Day!!!

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great video. Thanks

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Couldn't be happier for you! (unless I caught them myself) :lol:

Congratulations, and well done! :thumbsup:

9. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Thank ya'll! I was so excited! =) I can only imagine the stories the kiddos are going to tell at school tomorrow! When I gave the girls to the guy who bought them, I gave him two mostly drawn frames of mine and asked that once they were full of eggs, I'd like to get them back to start a nuc! =) He said sure, no problem! =)
    IT WAS ALL JUST SO DARN AWESOME! =)

10. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I'll tell my 7yo daughter you said that. =) I think she did pretty well too - although she was supposed to be filming from the time we stepped up the ladder. =) Next time I think I'll listen to my "learnings" and put at least two frames in there for the gals. More surface area for them to cover to get the most amount of bees in the box. I'll also leave the lid off from the get go as well. I was deferring to my Dad and we had a little disagreement on "how it's done." =)