Early Queens ?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 18, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This is the first time i've had to call and ask to hold my queen order . I had 10 carniolan queens ordered ( from Drapers) to be mailed April 6,. The weather has been so cold, and the only day (last week) that i could check my hives, i found very little brood on any of them. I was going to requeen 3 hives and start 7 nucs, but now that's on hold. Drapers Co. said to call them when i was ready and they would send them. They get new shipments of queens every two weeks, nice people to deal with :thumbsup: I guess the weather has changed alot of plans for all of us

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

the weather sure has been strange this year! Usually by now we have most of the garden planted and have been into the hives at least one good time. This year though, we have yet to do a decent inspection and I only have kale, cabbage, broccoli, strawberries, peas, lettuce, and spinach going!

I hope you get some good weather soon!

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a 'well know' queen breeder here has told me that 'over the years' the queen rearing season has been slowly getting later.

make of that what you will Jack but don't call in global warming.

4. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Hey Tec, about to shovel another 2-3 inches of "Global Warming". Will be the most snow in history in our area....and the girls were just getting things organized too.

5. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Since you are the closest to my area (northern Ark) could you give me some info on Drapers? I may have to look somwhere else for a queen or two or three? I have not been able to get into my hives to see what is going on yet either. This winter is really holding on - what kind of weather are you getting in Fair Grove? So far we are getting rain - the snow is not too far away, but I think we may just get some icing out of this mess.

Where is Drapers located? And do they have a good reputation for queens? I got my last queens from Coy last year? I don't know what he will have this year?