Earwigs in hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 8, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I checked my hives this morning and both hives had a large group of earwigs under the cover on top of the inner cover. Are earwigs any threat to my hives? I gave as many as I could the "hive tool treatment" but I didn't get them all. Dang, last year it was wood beetles now this:mad:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Open area of inner lid up. Flatter area down. Do you have it on right?

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I had to Google that bug.....nasty looking dude!

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

how strong are your colony earwigs are no real threat to the bees but am suprised they weren't shown the road by the bees, while earwigs are larger then bees, they really can't harm them, as they are vegetarians, eating organic debris. Get the bees strong enough that they use the space between the inner cover and telescoping cover and earwigs will go away one way or another. Earwigs have that large pincher looking thing on their abdomen but it is totally harmless despite the way they try to portray it as a defensive weapon--for the eye to see not your finger to feel will close on finger tip but not enough to cause anything resembling pain.
    Barry

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Your not the only one that has them. My two swarms out in the country has them. The ones at home don't. Maybe because I used Diatomaceous earth under my hives. Need to remind myself to bring it next time out.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Yep had a dozen earwigs on top of inner cover a few days ago. (that hive is in full sun by the way) I just bumped them out onto the grass. They are harmless. They love my garden lettuce, so i have to wash it well!

7. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Iddee...Yes I have the flatter area down as my beek buddy told me this would reduce burr comb. The girls did have them coralled into a tight group and the earwigs were reluctant to move even when I was smashing them with my hive tool/ bug getter. I am considering moving both hives about 15 feet to a spot that gets full sun all day. They are in a very sunny spot now but they do get bits of shade as the sun moves over them. I think I might move them tonight after dark. Since I relocated my hives from where I had them last year, I have not seen any of the wood beetles that I was infested with last year. The spot they are in now gets very hot and they have been bearding like crazy in the afternoon but I think full sun might cut down on intruders.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

LIke Barry says, earwigs are harmless. They go into the hive to hide, no more than that.
    Like Omie says, just bump 'em out. No need for any concern.