Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by DCoates, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DCoates

DCoates New Member

Here are plans and measurements for nucs I make. I think they are simple and you can make 4 five-frame nucs out of one 4' x 8' sheet of 15/32 plywood that sells for +/-$12 at Lowes or Home Depot. I use them for swarm traps, queen breeding nucs, and I overwinter nucs in them. I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs. I use thin 1 1/4 inch nails, titebond III glue, and I paint them to ensure I get many years of service out of them.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... c%20plans/

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

DCoates:
    when I click on the photobucket link, above all I get is this same thread????

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

4. DCoates

DCoates New Member

Not sure why it wasn't working but I just relinked it. It appears to be working now. Sorry for any trouble this caused.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would think you might have some warping problems with 1/2 inch plywood. as far as I know the more plies you have in the plywood the less likely you are to see warping.

6. DCoates

DCoates New Member

This is the 4th year I've been making them with this plan. Short of the units I've built this winter all of the others are in service and have not had warping problems.

7. plumb102

plumb102 New Member

i have some pvc panels with foam core in the middle. should last forever. can i use theese for supers or will the bees know the difference in that or real wood and not stay in them?

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

plumb102...............I would think they would use it just fine. There are some hive bodies that are made out of polystyrene and there is also plastic frames and plastic foundation. They are really not that picky to just build in wood.
    Welcome to the forum also, glad to have ya.

DCoates......do you have a lay out for a full sheet of plywood for the least amount of waste?

G3

9. plumb102

plumb102 New Member

thanks, g3. i was worried about the petroleum based pvc. this is made up just like the pvc used for plumbing drain pipes, except in panels. thanks again. guess we'll try it.

10. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I do not. It's easy enough, but I didn't diagram it out. I focus on the sides first, top to bottom. They consume a lot of material. Then I focus on the tops and bottoms. At that point I then focus on the fronts and backs. I use the remander for the end caps and scraps. There is very little scrap left over once all is said and done. I have the wood cut in half at Home Depot as my Expedition can't handle an 8' x 4' but it can handle 2 4'x4's with no problem.

11. rast

rast New Member

G3, there's some free versions of software that i have used in the past such as sheetlayout that works well.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I will look into one of them, thanks for the info.

G3

13. nchoneyguy

nchoneyguy New Member

This spring i needed some room for swarms and nucs and these fit the bill perfectly. Next year I'll be making up my all my nucs in these. Thank for the great tip.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I just cut out eight of them in a matter of an hour and now have something to put together while is is still cold outside. Pics to follow..................

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey G3
    When they're done they should look like this :mrgreen:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Great design. I have the layout for the plywood cuts somewhere, I'd have to find them though it is pretty simple.
    I capped mine with aluminum flashing.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry those look great, they are so easy to make and cut out.

I like the flashing for covering the top, good idea.

I am going to throw one in for a door prize at our next club meeting.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is one of those :roll: why didn't I think of this ideas. Really simple and cheap as all get out, no rabbets or extra cuts. I'm getting ready to build another 4 myself, I don't think you can ever have too many kicking around. I have a couple in the back of my pickup most of the time. The only mod I made was the treated 2x2's across the bottom for legs.

18. Tom Fran

Tom Fran New Member

Perry,

Nice job on the nucs! Easy and inexpensive to build. What's not to like about these.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Tom:
    I barely had them finished and I needed them. So simple, put one in your trunk, back of the truck (see pic. blue truck below),etc. so their handy at all times. You never know! :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherwise you gotta improvise like this! :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to leave the sign, caught these just off the back door of the Knot Pub. Figured there just might be someone "brave" enough to try something really dumb so I covered my bases as best I could!

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hard to beat a card board box to catch a swarm in.

Those 5 frame plywood boxes a awful handy, I keep one in the truck just to hold bee junk.