Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Gotta love this forum, nomatter where ya look you find things ya need :drinks: built these real fast tonight, will paint in the morning :yahoo: thnx a bunch for the easy plans

lol theres a board attachment quota? and I guess I reached it cause I re-did the blueprints and even took my pic of the nucs off and still cant upload the prints

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
All right, Charles, get this edited so we can read and print it.
Earn your keep around here. :beg: Please.....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
better view

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Nice job zookeep! Here's a downloadable pdf in landscape:

[attachment=0:ksifudsq]5-frame-nuc-deep.pdf[/attachment:ksifudsq]

You should be able to right click over the above link and choose some variation of "save to disk" depending on your browser. This will save it to your computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
""lol theres a board attachment quota? and I guess I reached it cause I re-did the blueprints and even took my pic of the nucs off and still cant upload the prints""

I increased the quota. You can reload the pics now.

Hope Charles don't fire me for it.m :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made 5 of these from 1 sheet of ply and some scrap I had. Thanks to DCoates for the plans. The only problem I have is that the lids warp. I used some leftover linseed oil on a couple and nothing on the rest, some paint may have helped them. I will be making more this winter, with some 1" wood or 3/4" ply for the lids. I might paint them too :lol:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Frazier writes:
The only problem I have is that the lids warp.

tecumseh:
I pretty much make nuc boxes out of any kind of scrap wood I can find. in regards to plywood and warpage 1/2" 3 ply stuff warps quite a bit, but 1/2" 4 ply not so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm like you,adamant. If I try to free-hand a circular saw, I'm all over the map. If it's a short cut, try holding a speed-square with your free hand, and after lining it up, (don't forget the kerf) run the saw deck along the edge of the square.
There are a bunch of videos on the net demonstrating how to do this. I'm a big fan of This Old House on PBS, and Tom Silva does this trick all the time. I've tried it, and it works.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
for anyone considering making their own boxes I would suggest that you have one factory made frame (of the appropriate size) for testing the fit of the first couple of boxes you build. a bit too loose is generally no problem but a bit too tight is a no no.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Guess I have a advantage being a carpenter :Dancing: I just finished these at 12 noon sunday ya the dates close but then again I tried to set it myself on the camera this time :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Looks good Zookeep:
The only thing I added were treated 2x2 feet across the front and back to keep em off the ground, and some flashing on the lid, it seems to stop warping.
Great design for one sheet of plywood. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Im putting them on 2 4x4s on top of concrete block so didn't need legs, I think the next 4 I build gonna get them to this point then cut a square out of the bottom and screen it.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
just a question from a professional sceptic to Zookeeper.

1) did you build the boxes in the picture totally according to the plans in the drawing?
2) what is the clearance between the bottom bars of the frames and the bottom of the box?

zookeep you might wish to reconsider the no legs approach since I find here that any solid surface to solid surface contact area become great places for ants.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Tec:

If I get a chance I'll measure mine as they are built off the same plans.
Seems to me I read somewhere the suggestion to build them slightly taller, allowing a bit more space between the bottom bar and the floor. This was suggested in order to accomodate frames with good sized swarm cells hanging off the bottom bars when one encountered a hive making swarm preparations. Nothing worse than setting a frame in and damaging the cells.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
my sceptic nature is aroused Perry because zookeeper's nucs look a lot like some dropped here by a customer and there was almost no clearance between the bottom bar and the bottom. I don't so much worry about cells but almost by instinct a lot of queen run to the bottom of a frame and dodge back and forth across the bottom bar. I ended up killing at least one queen so the problem is not hypothetical.

I look forward to your measurement.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
With the frame rest being 9 1/2 in. above the bottom, that should give ample clearance. How tall is a deep frame from the bottom of the top bar to the bottom of the frame, outside the end bar?

21 - 40 of 106 Posts