Beekeeping Forums banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
Nothing special on the staple gun a Craftsman finishing nailer that I got to put up trim with in the house. Question what is the difference between titebond 2 and 3? I have a gallon of 2 but went ahead and bought some 3. As far as I could tell the only difference is set up/cure time? I spent about 5 hours building the four, could have been faster but had to use a router to flush cut any places where I had board sticking over and then sand everything smooth. I had to stop my self when I thought I needed fill in the nail holes with wood filler. For the final question how much of it do I need to paint? I would guess outside and all edges (exposed end grain so to speak).
Cabinetry Table Wood Chair Drawer

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Good grief man, you are building furniture grade trap hives :lol:

Kidding aside, those look great. :thumbsup: As far as the paint goes I built some last year and never go to paint them and they are still in great shape. I did not let them get wet though, always had a big piece of corrugated plastic board over them.

I would paint all of the edges and bottom, leave the inside bare wood.

One of my customers builds the hardwood flooring for tractor trailers and a new process they started last year was putting a heavy fiberglass panel on the bottom of the flooring, Just the right size for the tops. Have not used any of it yet but have several long strips.

· Registered
31 Posts
I've recently assembled twenty of these deep plywood nucs, using 15/32" exterior grade plywood of 5-ply layers. I made several small adjustments to the plans; I make my bottoms of cardboard salvaged from old boxes, I cut them to fit the nuc bottom, then cut a small 2x3" vent window in one end of the cardboard, then staple a piece of #8 hardware cloth over the opening, I then melt beeswax into the surface of both sides of the cardboard, then I staple it onto the bottom - I place a thumbtack on the rim opposite the screened vent (to indicate where the entrance should be). I use upper entrances (created by leaving one upper edge open) and on the end opposite the bottom vent screen - I form them by either sliding back my polystyrene covers or the upper super, which I usually use to provide space for feeding and sometimes space for colony expansion. I've never actually made any exactly as D. Coates original specs call for. I've also never painted any, and have not yet had any warp, deform, or in any other way fail to be serviceable - they do get rained on, as often as that happens around here.

This way there is usually good ventilation and with a cloth or screen cover they are ready to be transported to their new home.

· Registered
383 Posts
Good grief man, you are building furniture grade trap hives :lol:

Kidding aside, those look great. :thumbsup: As far as the paint goes I built some last year and never go to paint them and they are still in great shape. I did not let them get wet though, always had a big piece of corrugated plastic board over them.

I would paint all of the edges and bottom, leave the inside bare wood.

One of my customers builds the hardwood flooring for tractor trailers and a new process they started last year was putting a heavy fiberglass panel on the bottom of the flooring, Just the right size for the tops. Have not used any of it yet but have several long strips.
Ok so maybe I am a little ocd when it comes to wood projects:geek: can't help it (so do I use a hand rubbed oil finish or just paint to make it furniture grade):roll:. So instead of using metal for the top cover why not fiberglass? it Cheap, durable, water proof. After posting I went back thru the thread and saw where Perry painted the bottom and a couple of inches inside the top, so maybe he answered my question. Joesph I am having trouble seeing what you are talking about, do you have any pictures:?:. So there is still the question what is the difference between titebond 2 and 3?

· Registered
31 Posts
Titebond II is water resistant, Titebond III is water proof, otherwise I understand they are quite similar. I've used both, but my OCD likes to err on the side of overkill, so I use Titebond III. I buy it by the gallon and keep refilling a small dispensing bottle. That way I save a little by buying a gallon at a time -- I'd save more in even larger quantities, but a gallon is as much as I can use during the products shelf-life.

I'll take some pics tomorrow morning to illustrate what I'm doing with my modifications to these wonderful nuc plans.

· Registered
3,700 Posts
Omie's green paint does magic tricks in protecting her hives from damage. Hope your green paint is as successful.:grin:

· Registered
2,056 Posts
Decided to throw one of these together today while cutting up some supers to see how easy they were. I only had some 5/8 ply scrap but adjusted by 1/8" everywhere. I have to say, this was super easy to cut and assemble. I am very impressed by the idea of it and best of all, how thrifty it is. Now, I just need to figure out what to do with them.
Rectangle Creative arts Wood Material property Composite material

Attachments

· Registered
3,700 Posts
Blueblood says: "Now, I just need to figure out what to do with them."

Efmesch says: It's your Boy Scout blood showing true--Be Prepared. Just you wait till they comes a calling.
:aikido:

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.