Easy come, easy go

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, May 24, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Was going to split a very strong hive today and use a queen cell from a cut out crackerbee and myself did. Had a few chores to do before playing in the bees and all of a sudden heard that familiar sound of a bee tornado. They split themselves before I had time to do so. Landed in the old gum tree and the only thing I could find to put them in was a cardboard box. They took right to it, then I remembered that I had a 10 frame deep with new foundation in the bee vac. so I sat it on the top of the open cardboard box hoping they would move up while I finished my chores. They were not moving up so I decided to just go ahead and hive them myself, as I poured them into the deep they took to the sky again. I was in hot pursuit beating on the cardboard box hoping to get them to lite on a tree branch but the ol' queen was not having anything to do with it. Chased them 1/4 mile before a big briar patch stopped me and I watched them keep going, never even slowed down.

Oh well, just added to the feral population in the area.

Good luck ladies, maybe someone down the road will pay me for doing a cut out :lol:

Pics later.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry to hear that G3:
    About those pics later, can I buy the one of you running after them while beating on a cardboard box?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The wife had already gone in the house with the camera when that happened, guess I could recreate it for ya :lol:

I know all of the people in the subdivision across the road think I am a little nuts, just hope they did not see me because that just might confirm it for them ;)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

[attachment=4:3n70h0xa]006.JPG[/attachment:3n70h0xa]

[attachment=3:3n70h0xa]012.JPG[/attachment:3n70h0xa]

[attachment=0:3n70h0xa]021.JPG[/attachment:3n70h0xa]

[attachment=2:3n70h0xa]024.JPG[/attachment:3n70h0xa]

[attachment=1:3n70h0xa]026.JPG[/attachment:3n70h0xa]
    can you guess which hive this swarm cam out of, and this was a swarm I had caught on 4-11-11, took them just 6 week to completely pull out 10 deep frames and build up enough to be so crowded they swarmed. I did not feed them anything, but did add a shallow super to them this afternoon.

and for you viewing pleasure.......wait for the end :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKLKEd62m0k

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good vid. Nice big swarm too!
    For some reason the hits on the fingers don't bother me as much as elsewhere.
    I've got 2 pair of ratty old gloves with holes in em and when I get hit it's usually in the same spot.
    Don't think I'll try the bare handed method for a while yet though. :mrgreen:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

the only reason I got it in the finger was I mashed one against a little limb.