Easy Cutout From a Floor Of A Stone House Late Season Swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Jul 31, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

A friend called and advised he had bees going in the rock facade of the front of a house owned by his wife's grandma. The house is vacant so this made things much easier. I was sure this was an established colony but he insisted it had not been there longer than a couple of weeks. I nervously pinpointed the location of the bees using my sense of hearing on the floor. But, all fears subsided when we cut up the floor to find them. We found about 4 pounds of bees in there with two pieces of white comb about the size of my hand. I found a single egg in every cell. We vacuumed the bees and plugged up the hole and finished up in about two hours. The queen never did make an appearance. There were plenty of places for her to hide including under other joist and beyond. I combined the bees with my weakest in the yard. I didn't bother with newspaper this time. I figure if we did manage to suck up the queen, may the best queen survive. All appears well with the combine so far. Was nice to have one last swing at a bee adventure for the season. The best part was having two guys with me today that I started in keeping this year. The one guy jumps right in with no suit, veil or gloves....kinda makes me feel guilty. I suppose I taste more sweet than he does. Ironically, he pulled a bee from my veil that was in the process of stinging and yet he is the one without a suit! The pictures aren't the best but here they are:
    DSCF8959.jpg DSCF8960.jpg DSCF8961.jpg DSCF8965.jpg DSCF8966.jpg DSCF8968.jpg DSCF8972.jpg DSCF8973.jpg DSCF8974.jpg DSCF8981.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:coolphotos:

Interesting house too!

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeah, this is an area called, "Flatrock." My wife and I periodically visit the Flatrock River to gather stones for landscaping. There was a early, turn of the century (1900) pond behind the house that was the end result of a small quarry operation. An old ramp for excavation was could still be made out.

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Congratulations on another successful cut out. Did you use any bee quick to try and get the queen? Just wondering. Thanks for all the pictures. Tom

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Sure didn't Tom..I have never tried it. I had little time to do the cutout which felt more like a suckout, ha! The bees are doing wonderfully today. I expected to see some carnage after mixing the bees together but not so. I read a post not too long ago here where someone combined like that with success. Geesh, it can't take too long for them to chew through the newspaper anyway.