Easy Project? No such thing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

A neighbor called today and asked for help on what should have been an easy project, he just had a kidney out and she recently came off a horse and broke her pelvis so we try and do what we can to help. Anyway she calls and say's that he's trying to install a faucet and having a heck of a time.

I have a dentist appt in an hour but I figure 45 minutes tops to drop in a faucet so I grab my tool box and jump in the truck.When I get there I see the faucet is pretty rusted and the bolts are stripped so they sit and spin, no worries I grab a set of cutters and start cutting the top plate off. 45 minutes later I have the faucet off but it's time to go to the dentist. I say I'll be back in a couple hours.

I get back and pull the new faucet from the box and it's one of those new Deltas that have 3/8 comp hoses built in and he has 1/2" pex fittings. It's also a 4" faucet with a sprayer and the one on there has the sprayer integrated into the faucet plate (only 3 holes not 4). OK I say I'm headed to the hardware store to return the faucet and get the right one.

I get back 1.5 hrs later as it's 30 min one way to the Home Depot. Drop the faucet in and of course the hoses are too short, don't know why I didn't check before leaving the first time, I've installed at least 10 faucets and just about every time I put new hoses.

Back in the truck and back 1.5 hrs later with 2 nipples and 2 12" hoses. Takes 5 minutes to finish up and I head home for dinner.

A 45 minute job started at 1pm and finished at 6:30, oh man I must be getting old or something :dash1:

2. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

"No good deed goes unpunished" Unprovoked acts of kindness seem to draw flack everytime.
    Rick

---Been there, too, Charles. I do sympathise. :thumbsup:

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I always dread the "five minute job". It means I'm usually working at it all day. I think it's a law of nature that opposites happen. Something like in the North when the weather person would forecast "flurries", you knew you were looking at 10 to 15 inches of snow! :)

Walt

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No matter what, you still did a good thing, and that will some how, some way come back to you some day, when you least expect it.

If that is what they call carma (sp) then I do believe in it
    or
    just another jewel in your crown.

:thumbsup:

G3

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The first rule of projects is that it always takes at least 2 trips to the hardware store! Been there, oh, yes.

6. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

G3 is right....Karma is just God's way of saying thanks to us here , before He takes us home.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i hope those folks appreciate your efforts! That was very kind of you to go out of your way so .....many......times. The 5 minute jobs at our house are the ones my dh never seems to find time to get to until I get agitated that it's undone and spend my entire day doing it....while fussing about doing it .....while he's gone...... Gee, I should just learn to be more patient huh? :oops:

8. Charles

Charles New Member

Thank you, we have a pretty good group of neighbors as far as helping each other out goes. Now if only I could get my honey do list done I'd be set :)

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Never ceases to amaze me how we always seem to underestimate the job at hand and overestimate our collective ability to perform the labor---I always predict what the time will be on a perfect working enviroment where the bolts, screws and other hardware is in good contition, and ccomes apart with no hassles ( anyone ever see a no hassle job where all falls in place!) Never!!!!!

10. Charles

Charles New Member

What'll really get you thinking is this; why is it that no matter how many bolts there are, there is only 1 that is a major problem?

Last set of headers I did there were 16 bolts and only 1 was trouble...
    Last intake I had trouble with had 10 bolts and the 1 in the back right was a major PIA
    Recently, I went to rotate the tires on my wife's truck (5 lugs) I found that the dealer had cross threaded 1 bolt and had to cut it off

Why is it always just 1 :dontknow: :D

11. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Charles.....It was karma....Never again break wind in church, and you'll be all right.
    Rick :thumbsup:

12. Brenda

Brenda New Member

When my husband does anything plumbing related, I go hide. He hates plumbing, and I hate him trying to do it.
    You must be a saint, and rewards await you in heaven, I'm sure. :)

13. Charles

Charles New Member

plumbing and electrical I don't mind, even some drywall work is ok, just don't put me on the roof :)

14. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I used to really dislike plumbing, with the solder and copper pipe and all. But, I think the way to go at it is get the worst over all at once.

What you do is turn the torch on your finger or thumb and burn it, take some steel wool and rub real hard over the burn until it is bleeding, and then rub some flux in it so it gets nice and infected.

After that you can get on with the plumbing with no problem. :D

Now all the fun's been taken out with plastic and adhesive. :cry:

Walt

15. Charles

Charles New Member

Get you some nice sharkbite fittings and all your pain will go away! :thumbsup: