economical hive branding iron input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im looking at possible designing a economical branding iron small enough to do individual top bars but yet big enough to do the bodies. I want to do this a bit different most design something and take it to market and charge what the market will suport. I want to know a serious price you would be willing to pay for a custom branding iron that runs on a propane bottle torch. Then I get the challenge to see If I can design what meets your needs for the price you are willing to pay. so fire away

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I have never thought about it. Never had a need to brand my stuff yet.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I'd pay around $100.00 for a custom brand.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Same here say one with 2-4 characters
    Bsweet

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Would the iron be just standard 123's and ABC's on a fixed head, or interchangable charaters?

How many characters long?

Does this include any custom design?

How tall are the characters limited to?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I am trying to keep it simple to keep the price down we may be able to do interchangable letters and buy just the ones you need Im looking at a letter height of .75 tall so you could brand top bars. We may be able to add some custom designs. Im just trying to get an idea of what people are wanting and what they would be willing to pay then see if I can fire up the cad system and machine to meet that need

7. camero7

camero7 Member

Let me know, I made a serious offer.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I might have some interest in that also rat. I would think some initials + some changeable date so your could age the frames (like '11, '12 etc).

For myself a brand small enough for the top bars is not going to be large enough for hive bodies.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

If I can design some thing with 3 letters and a date all interchangeable and build it so it can be sold for $100.00. an example would be ABC 2/11 . Made with 3/4 in letters would this fit the bill. It will be designed with 3/4 inch letters. If so I will take the challange to see what I can design

10. Charles

Charles New Member

Hmmm ... Maybe something with an interchangeable branding plate on the front, you could then have a secondary market for just the plates at a very reduced price.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

for myself designation of month and the slash would be excessive information. 3/4 inch letters sounds about right to me.

12. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I think most beeks would love to have an iron but the price of the ones made now scare them off. I for one would pay $100.00 for something with five letters that works off the propane torch idea.

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sounds great but

woodworking stores sell them cheaply- 3/16 letters - up to 20 characters, $58

Electric are $90

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

hey rat, I meant to get back to you earlier, but I've been in pretty bad shape from that cold which has now turned into a full on sinus infection that has made it just plain painful to think at all. Anyway, the stencil sounds perfect, I'll have you refigure the prices for the other ones though because they'll be more difficult.

I'm really glad you mentioned the branding iron though, because I've been looking into getting one for just that purpose. The branding company I got a quote from wannts $600 for a 500 watt iron, and more for a higher wattage iron... i don't know how much heat that kind of wattage brings to the table, but since gas is more efficient than electricity, i'd wager that a popane torch would do the job just fine... if the letters are big enough (half inch or larger while still being small enough to fit on the top bars) I'd be more than willing to pay $100.

3/16ths lettering is way too small to be read through propolis and what not.

15. Zulu

Zulu Member

Just read the Rats CNC mill thread and now see where you are coming from.

also now understand why letter size is critical here....

let me know too once you have a solution up and running.

16. rast

rast New Member

To be legal in Fl., I'm supposed to have a 10 digit brand, !/2" high on the front of my boxes. The frames, I would only need a 2 digit year on. That was sufficient evidence to catch a thief last year. Perhaps two irons. I would not want to buy a new iron every year for frames. I would love to buy one for $100. but that sounds rather cheap for labor, materials, and machine cost to me.

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Zulu you may have hit on something does tandy leather make there letter and number sets in 3/4 inch. If so what is the price for a set how many is in a set and what material they made of. That put a little grease on the wheels of thought. I think I got an idea how these may be able to be used with a propane torch and not have direct heat and get the price down where we need it.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

19. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Tandy has a outlet in wichita. I am going to have to go pick up cutters this morning at the tool grinder. I am going to stop by their store and look at the steel leather and number stamps that are cad plated with interchangable pins this may be the key to making a reasonable interchangable brand. By using a stamp that is already on the market if it will stand up to the heat. then design the tool around the existing product. The machining of the letters are the part that drives up cost where tandy is mass producing them. I have a dealers card with thems so I should be able to buy the individual letters and numbers at a discount and modify them as needed. At least worth looking into

20. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

That idea about Tandy's stamps would be great if it works(I have 3 sets already 3/8-1/2 & 3/4). Jim