Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we attended a graduation party next door. One youngster of 5 , asked why there were so many bees drinking at the birdbath, so I explained why and how they used the water etc, and he asked a few more questions , so offered to show him the hives.

Keen as anything, his mom came too and we just watched for awhile, i have one hive bearding at present too.....I of course asked them to stand back and he immediately said " but if you can go right up why can't I". so I took the bait and asked if he wanted to look inside

Lit the smoker and opened one hive and brought out a frame to where they were standing, let him dip his finger in the honey too.

Bless his heart... He asked why they weren't stinging us..... And it was the perfect time to explain how people don't understand our bees.

Great 10 minutes which I hope he remembers for life.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wonderful, Zulu. The feelings that come from doing that... It's amazing, isn't it!

Yesterday at Horne Creek, I had a boy about 8, ask to see the stack of learning pics we use to educate at the booth. He was able to tell me so much about each! He asked questions also. I asked his dad if he planned on getting honey bees - He said they were thinking of getting bees in the future! :thumbsup:

Right , wrong or indifferent, this is why we blog, tweet and facebook constantly about our fun and follies with our honey bees. Paint our hives, joyful colors, show how sweet they are, too!

Yes, Zulu a great 10 minutes he will remember for life! :goodpost:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Starting with the young is the way to really educate. Zulu, you've got a lot of credit in that field. :thumbsup: Carry on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my youngest grand son ,, last year took 6 drones to school ,the teacher told him that he can not bring pets to school ... theres 4 grand kids in that school ,, and all the other kids know that at home they play with bees ,, the school even called me because they had a swarm .. if one of the grand kids get cut or what ever they tell the nurse to put honey on it not salve

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great opportunity caught and processed. GOOD JOB>>>

How is the new queen doing in the scout hive?
Will check it tomorrow when I get back from Atlanta. Also have a copy of the book for you. Been a crazy 10 days. Off to Germany Tues.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
The first words I learned in German were..... "Ein Cognac und cola, bitte". Practiced it many times while there. :D

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Things I heard a lot as a kid: (forgive incorrect spelling)

"Du bist ein dumas eisel" You are a dumb a$$"

"Du bist ein schlapmaul" You are a big mouth.

"Du bist ein schweinhunt" You are a pig/dog (dirty)

"Du bist ein dreksau" You are a dirty pig.

Other things that would not be correct to post! :lol:
These are things I heard a lot as a kid and I remember with a funny fondness.
Hey, I have a 10 year old boy now, I can relate just a little as to what I put my parents through. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Zulu, you know how this goes right to my heart. Wonderful ten minutes, absolutely! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your love of bees

·
Registered
429 Posts
I take every opportunity to bring neighborhood kids along to work hives. I've had 5 come along with me so far, they all have enjoyed it even though they were still a little scared. I have a family that homeschools coming out in a few weeks to get a little lesson and hopefully get a taste of honey! I'm also doing a short (45 mins) presentation at the public library as part of their summer reading program on backyard beekeeping. It's geared towards adults but all ages are welcome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts