Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the 3rd dose of terramycin in my doubledeep hive 5 yesterday. Still a lot of bees. I had left one full frame of hatching brood for them (the other 3 I tried to hatch and add myself with a rather high mortality rate I'm sure.)

So I went in to pull that "empty" brood frame, and check on them, and re-dose. There is certainnly vitex in bloom probably more, because they are drawing out the plasticell frames very quickly. The empty wood ones (I don't use foundation) are not really getting started. They are putting up nectar and pollen and sugarwater I'm sure. The only brood frame out of 20 was that old frame, and I am not sure whether the larva still appear sick, so I swiped it and gave them an empty wood frame strung with fishing line in its place. And took photos. I put a few 640 x 480 pics on the other thread, but I don't think the site can handle full size photos, so I just created an album of really big photos and put it on photobucket. I have destroyed the frame, if these were healthy brood I guess that was a mass abortion.
I am not sure

I am sure the wax was infected. It's gone. Pics are here: http://s338.photobucket.com/user/gypsi_fw/library/Bee and Garden Stuff/EFB gone photos

Riverbee, if you could take a look I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
gyspi, you asked me to look at these. i have no experience with efb, and i do not know what to say or how to respond. i looked at your photographs. the majority of these pix are blurred, (ps, bk forums can handle large photos). some larvae appears to not look so good, yet some does; there are some larvae that appear to be healthy. sorry i cannot be of more help to you. continue to take the advice of your apiary inspector and follow his advice. hang in there and do the best you can.....:grin:

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The inspector will be back up at the end of next week. he called a couple of days ago. The bees seem to be managing, drawing comb, bringing in some kind of nectar. They are needing 4 days to finish a quart of syrup and there are a LOT of bees.

Thank you for looking.

Next time I have a notion to steal the honey from a weak winter hive for human consumption, I'm going with that notion. If they don't have enough bees to patrol the top box, it's MINE ALL MINE. If I had done that in January I would have lost ONE hive instead of 3.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My queen is certainly laying prolifically, makes 'requeening' look like not a great treatment. but I tossed the brood over the comb it is in just to be sure I didn't leave infected comb in any of my hives. I do NOT want to be fighting this next spring.

There were a couple of larva with the shiny ridged look of efb, but most did look ok. I just didn't take any chances. and next time I'm eating the deadout honey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts