eggs vs larva

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by powwowman, May 28, 2016.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

This may be a easy question for the senior beeks, I have a queen less hive with no eggsor larva and only capped brood (not much of that even) So I gave the colony a frame full of of fresh eggs, but no larva, will the hive accept and make queen cells from the eggs? There is some honey and pollen frames in the hive.:roll: I did this with another hive but they seemed to neglect the eggs and let them die.( It was shy of pollen and honey)

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

The eggs have to be < 2 days old... even then, with all other factors optimal, my Q production rate is only around 60-70% for reasons not entirely clear to me. If I don't see a Q cell after a week, I pop some more eggs in. I don't think I have ever gone through 3 sets of eggs without making a Q.

I do believe uncapped larva keeps the nurse bees happy as well as the promise of keeping population numbers while the hive waits on a queen.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

There is also the matter of drones - how many hives do you have? Are there enough drones in the neighborhood to mate a queen? And yes be sure they have groceries to feed the brood