Electric knife vs. uncapping plane

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Ted N Ms, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ted N Ms

Ted N Ms New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iv'e got to get another way to uncap my frames. It just takes to much time with a manual knife using hot water. Need advise on using elc. knife vs. uncapping plane.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I like the electric knife just make sure you get a good one that has heat adjustment

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have used both and have one of each. i personally prefer the uncapping plane. there's a bit of getting used to the plane, and you have to make 2 passes on each side of your frames with it, but i can uncap faster with it than i can with the knife, and when i have 35-40 boxes of frames to get through the plane makes the work go quicker for me.

if you buy a plane, buy an extra element for it, and i agree with riverat there who's wife doesn't care for his bug hobby.... :lol:
    if you buy an electric knife, get a good one you are able to adjust the heat with.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I use an electric uncapping knife with the thermostat set at the factory. works fine for me. some knives actually have an adjustment (allen type screw head) where you can adjust the temperature in the handle of the electric knife.

at any number of levels (economic scale) the accumulation of the capping is almost always the limitation and not how you might choose to uncap.

there is an el paso wisconson? I guess you would never confuse the place with el paso texas?

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Not at this time of year, I'm sure!

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

...."out in the west texas town of el paso I fell in love with a mexican girl. night time would find me in rosa’s cantina"…..(one of my favorite marty tunes!)....

or in my case the el paso bar and grill….Wisconsin that is! :drinks:

i can say i have been from one el paso to the other, and I would trade texas weather about right now for the snow we are about to be buried in the next 24 hours…..but I have a jeep and a 4 wheel horse, what else does a girlie beeker need!

(some bees, some honey and a good uncapping plane!)