Beekeeping Forums banner

emergency cut out.....need quick basic list...ive got bout 3

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  2kooldad 
#1 ·
i got a cut out to do....they want it done right now....buyer wont close unless bees are gone...i have to do it right now....any tips will help...its an easy one it the lower wall of a wood frame shed....IDDEE....your wisdom would be a big help here...ive got an hour before i get home....i have a hive box ready....what else should i bring ??? Oh yea and its pouring rain....this is gonna be....intresting.

#2 ·
Re: emergency cut out.....need quick basic list...ive got bo

Shame with a little heads up I would have come up to help you, I was just at cedar key a few weekends ago, little over 21/2 hour drive

#4 ·

2kooldad said:
Oh yea and its pouring rain....this is gonna be....intresting.[/quote

I may be new at beekeeping and cutouts,but I can tell you that I got caught in the rain a month ago doing a cutout and it was a complete disaster.I would wait until it isn't raining for sure.

Sent you a pm.

#5 ·

i've got a little time now an know better what i'll need for the job...thanks Iddee for the phone call....that was a good conversation an i took alot from it...gotta get a queenclip an a big reuseable piece of white plastic....is there a reason a large white sheet wouldnt work ???

.Crackerbee we are gonna have to meet soon...i wanna meet Rast too....yall are the closest beeks to me that i know of....beeks should know each other dont ya think.

#8 ·

it hasnt gone yet....i didnt have a skill saw to cut the floor up with....an the buyers i guess are willing to wait a few days....i thought they were in the wall....from the outside it looks that way...they are in the floor....had to tear down the wall to find that out....i did it carefully so no damage to the shed an i put it back up....had to check with Iddee about the do's n dont's of floor cutouts...glad i did too....he schooled me on them an some other
Things...so now ive got a better idea of how to attack it...should be an easy job....well...not a horrible job....good chance for rain today so ima hold off till thursday or friday since i have a few days...why make it worse...the lady next door has a typical attitude for bees...shes been to scared to step outside for a few hours a day...she thinks their bathroom/imprint flights are the torrents of a hive of killer bees searching for her....i explained it to her an she felt alittle better but i still bet she dont go outside till im done...lol.

#9 ·

I like spending time talking with the homeowners and the neighbors about bee's. It helps to impart some knowledge to them and while they may not lose their fear, I find their fear is significantly reduced after they understand some things better. Also, I usually meet some very nice and interesting people.

#12 ·

i only took the one pic....i loved it BUT....now that i've done one i'll do things diffrent next time...my inexperiance made things difficult...i most deff. Want a bee vac before i tackle another one...its not a ''must have'' but dang sure a ''gotta get''.......i only brought one 5 gallon bucket an needed 3 or 4....a shop light would have been nice too....live an learn i guess.

#13 ·

2Kool-
Now that it's all over, there's not much to add BUT------
The first and most important part of the job in a case like this is 2kooldown the panicky people. It's fear that makes them want it done IMMEDIATELY!!!! When they understand that patience is to their advantage (working "slowly", under the right circumstances insures a thorough, clean, complete job). A rush job can really be a mess. I"m not talking about weeks, but a few days isn't unreasonable. If you can get them to watch you work (either from a safe distance or with a set of bee clothes) they'll be on your side. Explain what you're going to do and why/how. If you're really good, you can get them to help you. It's amazing how proud they will be of the job "they" did. :yahoo:

#15 ·

yall are right (of coarse) an i did try to sooth her ruffled feathers....an i think i educated
her somewhat....i just couldnt get her to drop the ''out to get her'' part...if maybe i could have convinced her to come an see the hive...it might have been more easy to her to drop the misconceptions she has....husband did come out an see them before i started...he was ok with them...i ''did'' however catch her looking at the colony through the screen on her porch...she told me later it was amazing an that she had never seen a hive before...then ended with ''now i can go outside again''.......at that point i was sore, tired, soaked in sweat, It was dark an i had an hour drive home....i just said thankyou ma'me an told her id be back with a hive for the straglers in the morning....some people are just afraid i guess...what do ya do but get on with it....maybe its my fault an more experiance will make me a better PR man....at least i saved the bees right :)

#16 ·

Absolutely right. :thumbsup:
I just hope she doesn't have the gall to ask for a share of the honey :shock:

#17 ·

lol....she was only the neibor next door....who let me use her electric....i never saw or talked to the new owners....they live outta state an told the realter to have me get em out pronto....i got a gallon an a half of honey out of the deal + a good colony of bees....id give her a jar if i thought it would improve her attitude about bees....its dark yummy fall honey too...mmmmmmm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.